Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 and 996 Led Drl Gen 2 Headlights

Old 05-16-2019, 11:34 AM
MichaelV
User

Default 986 and 996 Led Drl Gen 2 Headlights

As some of you might've seen, I've upgraded the tail lights on my 1999 986 with the new 718 style tail lights. They completely transformed the rear end of my car. The only issue was I still had the ugly and dated egg headlights with the orange turn signals. I've recently put on the new Xtreme Motorcars Gen 2 headlights for the 986 and 996 and I can happily say my car looks 20 years newer now. The car just looks absolutely stunning and the build quality of the headlights are amazing. Everywhere I go I get stares and compliments as people think my car is brand new because they've never seen a car with these headlights before. I'm wondering why the headlights weren't the first mod I did to this car haha.

These are projector headlights as well so the night time visibility is much more improved over the stock headlights. I'm able to see so much more than I used to.

I also made a video demonstrating the lights as well as a few pics so you guys could get a better look.

Here is the link to them for those that are curious: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Box...item2a37d2cf4a

Old 05-16-2019, 03:28 PM
bekks
User

Looks good. Pretty simple swap?
Old 05-16-2019, 04:11 PM
MichaelV
User

Originally Posted by bekks View Post
Looks good. Pretty simple swap?
Thanks! And yup. Porsche has a simple rail system for the headlights so the old ones slide out and these ones slide right in. Takes all of two minutes.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:54 PM
bekks
User

I knew about the ease of changing the unit, but figured it might need some different electrical. Maybe that is all contained in the headlight assembly
Old 05-16-2019, 09:45 PM
MichaelV
User

Originally Posted by bekks View Post
I knew about the ease of changing the unit, but figured it might need some different electrical. Maybe that is all contained in the headlight assembly
If you have upgraded led tail lights as well then you'd need to change the flasher relay with an led one. I got one on ebay for $8 and it was simply taking the old flasher relay out and putting the new one in. Because the turn signals would flash very fast. But other than that, if you're just upgrading the headlights it uses the same connector and its a simple plug and play.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM
AnthonyGS
User

Wow again! You’ve really updated the look of your car. I will be following along for updates to see how these hold up. You really have me considering these now. How are they at night? Big improvement? Before and after night photos would’ve been awesome.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:10 PM
spark1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can you give a link to the led relay?
Old 05-19-2019, 11:09 AM
MichaelV
User

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS View Post
Wow again! You’ve really updated the look of your car. I will be following along for updates to see how these hold up. You really have me considering these now. How are they at night? Big improvement? Before and after night photos would’ve been awesome.
Thanks! Yup big improvement at night. The low beam now is like how my high beams were with the oem light. And the high beam just lets me see the whole road ahead perfectly.

Originally Posted by spark1 View Post
Can you give a link to the led relay?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CF13-GL02-L...72.m2749.l2649
Old 05-19-2019, 01:55 PM
geetee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the gen1's. These look much better. You can add an HID kit to the low beams....makes them even better

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: