Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic...

Old 02-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Vampyre
User

Originally posted by Daytona24
Vampyre,

what is this "Internet" you speak of?

And I can tell your wife wears the pants in your family.

Its a shame I don't live near you, I would enjoy your wife ;-)

Maybe this will wake him...

If my wife wares the pants, is that the reason you would enjoy her? Is there something you wanted to tell us. Has President Bush made you mad because same sex marrige is Bad.

Come on, I want you to Rant again.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Brian P
User

Originally posted by Vampyre
Any time you wanna bring that contraption of yours up to NY for an *** Wiping at Watkins Glen you let me know. I'll show you all about that.
Hey Vampyre,

What kinds of times were you running with the boxster at the Glen? That's pretty much a home track for me. My best was a 2:27, but that was on 16'" street tires.

Oh, and hope to see you there at an event soon. Sounds like we would have fun running with each other!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Vampyre
User

Originally posted by Brian P
Hey Vampyre,

What kinds of times were you running with the boxster at the Glen? That's pretty much a home track for me. My best was a 2:27, but that was on 16'" street tires.
Nice times. I have never ran it with the Boxster, I wanted to get Daytona24
all worked up. I think that is better then most of the posts here.

That guys rants are funny, and it makes coming back to rennlist worth it.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:29 PM
Vampyre
User

Originally posted by Brian P

Oh, and hope to see you there at an event soon. Sounds like we would have fun running with each other! [/B]
Hey are you goning to go for the 3 laps for $15 I think tickets are going on sale in May.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:11 PM
agentpennypacker
Addict
Rennlist Member

With all due respect, even with some of the "out of hand" comments, I would have to agree with daytona24.

I owned several 911's before purchasing my boxster S 2 years ago. I tracked it several times at Roebling Road and it spent more time at the shop than in my garage. $1,200 and driving a rental VW for 6 weeks later, I was immediately back in an air cooled 911.

Great car, even better chassis, but not made for the track by any means. That goes for the standard C2 and C4 996 also. So many problems with hard usage on the track. Granted, some people drive slower on the track than some of us do on the street (you know those guys that push their cars about 50 - 60% tops, and pretend they have great lap times), and enjoy the annual PCA Xmas party/car show more so than anything else.

I think Porsches biggest mistake was the tiptronic (1990 in the C2), as it is an enthusiasts nightmare. I guess I would buy one if I were handicapped.

Then came the new management who think that japanese techniques and cost savings are better than quality and "ENDURANCE" on the track. Or better yet, standing by their products. It's a great shame. I've invested a lot of time in Porsche and still stand by their pre 98 cars/quality, but will never purchase a new one again.

Porsche says, "There is no Substitute", but I have news for them. YES there is Porsche, and it is called FERRARI.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:11 PM
mackgoo
User

Gee you didn't mention kicking the tires in your grand car assessment acumulated over the last 7 years of your car experience.
Where did you say they hide the 9 qts of oil?
I'd bet the puny 2.5l Boxster would kick the mighty SC's 3l and the Carerra's 3.2l hinny on or off the track in any format of your choosing.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Brian P
User

Originally posted by Vampyre
Nice times. I have never ran it with the Boxster, I wanted to get Daytona24
all worked up. I think that is better then most of the posts here.
You should try it with the boxster - LOTS of fun. Watkins Glen is really a momentum course once you realize how fast ALL of the turns are.

Won't be there in May. My first event will likely be in August
Old 02-25-2004, 10:37 PM
Vampyre
User

Originally posted by agentpennypacker
I owned several 911's before purchasing my boxster S 2 years ago. I tracked it several times at Roebling Road and it spent more time at the shop than in my garage. $1,200 and driving a rental VW for 6 weeks later, I was immediately back in an air cooled 911.
Too bad you got a bad 986. I have had very little problems with my 986.
if fact this is it.

1. fog lights stopped working might be a fuse , I haven't checked yet

2. heated seats got intermittant and then stopped working might be a relay , I haven't checked yet

3. top motor went bad and was replaced free.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:17 AM
Daytona24
Banned

Vampyre,

I'm back by popular request. By the way, were you calling me homosexual for talking about your wife? I hope she doesn't read your posts...

Anyway back to the matter at hand, your "track weapon" the Boxster... strange, I really haven't seen any 'V's next to the Boxster column in any sanctioned races. It must be that Boxster owners think they have SUCH an unfair advantage, that they have decided not to race and let the 911s win. That's very thoughtful, but please don't let us stop you.

And one more thing - I love it when board members, like yourself, say things like "Come on down to my track and I'll give you an ***-kicking." The reason I don't say things like that is, I could be talking to Michael Schumacher for all I know. And from your brashness I would say you have no idea who you're talking to. I don't know how fast you are, but you better be DAMN fast if you plan on passing me.

I guess it's a lot easier to brag about yourself when protected by the anonymity of a handle like "Vampyre"

whoops, I just wet myself
Old 02-26-2004, 10:30 AM
Brian P
User

Anyway back to the matter at hand, your "track weapon" the Boxster... strange, I really haven't seen any 'V's next to the Boxster column in any sanctioned races. It must be that Boxster owners think they have SUCH an unfair advantage, that they have decided not to race and let the 911s win.
Is it Porsche's fault that people prefer to drive other cars? The big problem with the boxster is that it is still relatively new and very few products have been built for it. So, if you want to club race a Boxster, you have to buy a fairly recent one (2000 or newer for the bigger motor) which will set you back about $26K. Then, you have to add a bunch of custom suspension products. These are just now getting available. Let's figure another $10K to get the car in a race competitive form. We are right around $36K...

For much less money, you could buy somebody else's track car and be racing immediately.

Yes, if you have money to burn and you don't mind losing the first several races as you sort out the car, a Boxster would be great. As you can imagine, we don't see a lot of Boxster racers. For what it's worth, I think a Boxster could be the car to beat in F class in the hands of the right driver.

And from your brashness I would say you have no idea who you're talking to. I don't know how fast you are, but you better be DAMN fast if you plan on passing me.
Care to post any lap times on your favorite track? Also, be sure to let us know what kind of car you were driving. As you noted, it's easy to feel like you are fast when all you are doing is driving with the soccer moms.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Daytona24
Banned

No thanks I don't get into 'pissing matches' with rennlist members. From what I've seen it goes something like this...

"I ran a 2:29 at Sebring in Class F stock"

then someone else says

"Oh, well I ran a 2:28.5" at Sebring in that same class."

As fun as that looks, I decline. I'll let the dreamers post their times.

"Oh, looks like Greg's been "One-Upped" again!"

Believe what you like - but in my opinion about 90% of the 'facts' you read online, including postings on this board, are bull****.

Last edited by Daytona24; 03-18-2004 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Brian P
User

No thanks I don't get into 'pissing matches' with rennlist members. From what I've seen it goes something like this...

"I ran a 2:29 at Sebring in Class F stock"

then someone else says

"Oh, well I ran a 2:28.5" at Sebring in that same class."

As fun as that looks, I decline. I'll let the dreamers post their times.

"Oh, looks like Greg's been "One-Upped" again!"

Believe what you like - but in my opinion about 90% of the 'facts' you read online, including postings on this board, are bull****.

Greg
I guess... I think people who post their club racing times are generally legit, as it's trivial to look up those times on the PCA website. I know that I double check those numbers if they seem like they are too fast.

I wasn't thinking of using the lap times as the absolute mark of who's a better driver. Also, considering that most of us haven't been down to Sebring, all we could really do is compare your times against club racers and get a sense of how well you match up.

Finally, if you want to lay down a gauntlet of "you better be DAMN fast if you plan on passing me", I don't think it's unreasonable to ask, "just how fast are you?"
Old 02-26-2004, 11:05 AM
Vampyre
User

Vampyre,

I'm back by popular request. By the way, were you calling me homosexual for talking about your wife? I hope she doesn't read your posts...

I guess it's a lot easier to brag about yourself when protected by the anonymity of a handle like "Vampyre"

whoops, I just wet myself

There is the Daytona24 I know, Nice Rant!!! Keep them coming, as far as
anonymity, I have a profile listed with my web page that show I live in Rochester NY. I have no idea what that means.

Now let me get back to that Latte, and where is my damn cup holder, Ah, there it is.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Daytona24
Banned

Haha
Old 02-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Vampyre
User

Haha
As I said, l like you better when you rant. Come on, I need to hear some more vebral razors. You need to cut people down to size!

So what car do you own anyway? Was it a Boxster?

Waiting for the Rant.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic...

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: