Old 05-11-2019, 03:07 PM
Curt Doolittle
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Boxster S, intermittent ABS and Limp Mode

NEW MEMBER.
(Thanks for being here).

PROBLEM
Intermittently, ABS light comes on, and car goes into limp mode (1st and 2nd gear only). No codes thrown. No other lights.

To reset, I stop the car, turn it off. pump the brakes hard, restart, all is cleared.

Is it as simple as either (a) air in the brake lines, or (b) something in the brake lines that's just worn?
Brake fluid is full and no more than 18 months old.
I think bleeding the brake lines is beyond my 'talent' level.

Is it maybe that the sensors under the airbag in the steering wheel are corroded and throwing random data to the gearbox? (I understand this happens now and then).

REPLACED
New Battery (full size, oem)
New injection coils, (dealer oem)
New Brakes (ceramic)
New ABS and ($100 ea)
Brake Wear Sensors. ($15 ea)

No effect on the ABS action.

CONDITIONS
Car has been in storage for the winter. I store it often because I 'commute' between europe and the US. Usually take out of storage with no problem: change the oil, lube, and it's good. This time stored in CT rather than WA, and maybe cold/wet is harder on the car?

THANKS!
Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt Doolittle
NEW MEMBER.
(Thanks for being here).

PROBLEM
Intermittently, ABS light comes on, and car goes into limp mode (1st and 2nd gear only). No codes thrown. No other lights.

To reset, I stop the car, turn it off. pump the brakes hard, restart, all is cleared.

Is it as simple as either (a) air in the brake lines, or (b) something in the brake lines that's just worn?
Brake fluid is full and no more than 18 months old.
I think bleeding the brake lines is beyond my 'talent' level.

Is it maybe that the sensors under the airbag in the steering wheel are corroded and throwing random data to the gearbox? (I understand this happens now and then).

REPLACED
New Battery (full size, oem)
New injection coils, (dealer oem)
New Brakes (ceramic)
New ABS and ($100 ea)
Brake Wear Sensors. ($15 ea)

No effect on the ABS action.

CONDITIONS
Car has been in storage for the winter. I store it often because I 'commute' between europe and the US. Usually take out of storage with no problem: change the oil, lube, and it's good. This time stored in CT rather than WA, and maybe cold/wet is harder on the car?

THANKS!
Never had any issues with the ABS system in my Boxster.

Generally cars don't like to be stored, not used regularly. Could be a problem due to mild surface corrosion of some ABS system related connector.

You would probably be better off having the car looked at by a shop that knows these cars and has among other things a proper Porsche diagnostics computer to query the various controllers in the car for any error codes.

If the car was stored outside in the weather I have to mention water might have gotten into the dry side of either door due to failing door membranes. The ones in my 2002 Boxster had to be replaced after 12 or 13 years. Dampness along the door bottoms is a sign of bad door membranes. BTW, the water doesn't have to be rain water. Just a washing if the door membranes are bad can have the doors wet where they shouldn't be.

Another source of water in the car can be blocked body water drains.

Check for water/dampness on the cabin floor under the seats. The very important security control module is located under the driver's seat (on USA cars).

The location of the body water drains: There are several under the front trunk under the plastic panels on either side of the battery box. At the back there is a body water drain under each clam shell arm. Put the top in the service position which has the clam shell opened as wide as it can be opened to expose the rear water drains.

Remove any trash/muck with care.

Have to say though the behavior doesn't read like the usual symptoms from water in the cabin or even the doors. But check anyhow.

Last but not least a car that sits unused can be visited by mice. Check for mice sign on top the engine, bare patches of carpet in the cabin, nest litter on top of the plastic panels under the car.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

your car is a tip?

Quick Reply: 02 Boxster S, intermittent ABS and Limp Mode