Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 IMS Failure

Old 05-10-2019, 12:53 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

it is certainly a problem, the cars are not worth much for parts without an engine, there are 3000 dollar engines out there that can have an IMS bearing installed, but since the running cars as well are not worth that much (yours is probably running an 8000 dollar car) by the time the engine is installed, you could sell yours for 1500 as is and buy a newer one for the cost of used engine replacement. Same with the early 996 models. Sad but true AND the cars will never appreciate in value like the air cooled cars have done
Old 05-11-2019, 01:47 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dr914
it is certainly a problem, the cars are not worth much for parts without an engine, there are 3000 dollar engines out there that can have an IMS bearing installed, but since the running cars as well are not worth that much (yours is probably running an 8000 dollar car) by the time the engine is installed, you could sell yours for 1500 as is and buy a newer one for the cost of used engine replacement. Same with the early 996 models. Sad but true AND the cars will never appreciate in value like the air cooled cars have done
Odd you conclude that with 914 in your username. Look what people pay for nice clean 914s today or how prices are going up on clean 928s and 944s. Boxsters are reaching their basement. Lots of them will get driven into the ground and then parted out. Then in another 20 years, clean low mileage ones in mostly stock condition will go for far more than anyone ever imagined.

Early 90s Japanese cars are already commanding more than original sticker for Supras and RX-7s. I too thought that would never happen.
The following users liked this post:
Kerosene (04-01-2020)
Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

And maybe, if you invest your money instead, you will come out ahead of the speculative 10-years or 20 years from now car market.

About 45 years ago I bought some company stock. Earlier I bought a new 914. Had I kept the 914, it would have been a rusted hulk. Or I would have invested maybe $20k or more in storage costs by now. Not to mention taxes and registrations and insurance. The stock by the way would today buy me darn near any new 911 variant made. So which should I have kept? (And 8 years earlier, I invested in Toyo Kogo (Mazda) and what happened to that investment?) There is no such thing as a sure thing.

Buy and hold what your heart and risk tolerance will allow. Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:19 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

In your place I would find a shop that knows Boxsters, recommended by members here or over on 986forum.com and then buy a decent 2.5 liter engine, they can be found for less than $3000. Have the engine shipped to the shop and, as Brian inTucson says you're back in the Boxster for $5000.

If it was me I'd change the engine myself... but I understand that is not for the faint of heart.

My other observation is... was it really the IMS that broke? My understanding is that the early engine had other problems like with the cylinders. If the engine was not opened up one cannot be certain that it was the IMS. I wonder how many similar threads blaming the IMS are really related to other problems which further darkens the reputation of the poor IMSB.
Old 05-12-2019, 02:28 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

... or less than $2000
https://www.lkqonline.com/1998-Porsc...P/-i~150832545
Old 05-12-2019, 03:04 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a good price for a very high mileage old motor. If I'm going to all the trouble and expense of changing out a motor, I'm looking for more moderate mileage. My engine was a factory rebuilt, with about 60K. I paid $2500 plus $250 shipping (LA to Tucson) Any engine you get can be a crap shoot. And most of the guarantees pretty much require that you don't waste any time putting the engine in. I've done well in my life buying used engines, tho. I bought a V8 for 400, it turned out to have been balanced--smoothest running Dodge truck I've ever seen.

I like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-2-5L...ally+Aspirated
Old 05-12-2019, 10:17 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

That engine scares me thanks to the sellers 95% feedback rating. 1 in 20 is not odds I like with an M96. I’ve seen a few for $2000-$2500 I’d buy if I can get this car.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:55 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by elgy
My other observation is... was it really the IMS that broke? My understanding is that the early engine had other problems like with the cylinders. If the engine was not opened up one cannot be certain that it was the IMS. I wonder how many similar threads blaming the IMS are really related to other problems which further darkens the reputation of the poor IMSB.
My thoughts exactly. Not every engine problem or apparent failure is due to the IMSB. Early engines have their own quirks and failings. Who diagnosed the IMSB failure or was it a WAG since EVERYONE including people who don't even know what an IMS is seem to know they fail?
Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

$10k not out of line. Figure the cost of another motor(let's say 3-5k), 2-3k to put it in, new clutch assembly, new water pump, new AOS, new IMS fix, new hoses and belts since after all the motor is out, and you'd be right near $10k

I just went thru this last fall on mine

Forget looking at it as if "why spend $10k on this if car isn't worth it". Consider you'd have your car running with better mechanicals and no worries for a lot of happy miles in front of you

I drove mine for the first time this spring and couldn't believe how delightful the car is. And the peace of mind that comes from having dealt with all the vulnerability just makes a lot more pleasant.

Porsche's aren't cheap
Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by NinerTico
Hello everyone,

Brand spankin' new to the forum and I'm here to tell my sob story as well. My 1998 Boxster's IMS failed and destroyed the engine and that 10K figure is spot on almost anywhere where I live. The fact is that I cannot justify spending that plus other repairs needed for this beautiful car and I'm bummed. My life as a Porsche owner will be short lived... for now.

Still, I was wondering if anyone had any advise as to how to sell her as is. She's clean inside and out, white exterior, red brick interior, non-S, and automatic (Triptronic). I haven't seen this color combo around Nor Cal, yet.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I will get more detailed picks when I get home. However, here's two.

Thank you in advance for your help.
First of all, sorry to hear about the IMS failure. I wish more of the IMS failure deniers would read threads like this one especially since this was a dual row bearing car. Jake Raby mentioned in the PCA videos that NO car is immune and even the most robust bearing like the dual row can fail and when it does, it sheds twice as much destructive metal in the engine; therefore, proactively "act" accordingly when it comes to these IMS bearings.

I can't add more than what others have offered. I can only vouch for my own experiences and personally, I wouldn't want to just give the car away for a measly $1500 as dr914 suggests. Heck, I could part it out and make more than double that amount easily on this car. Think about it. That hood is worth $500 all day long. The front bumper skin is worth around $300 - $400. That's just two body parts! You have a good working tiptronic transmission that could be removed. All the interior components. On and on it goes. However, I take it you just want to move on with life and sell it as a roller. Therefore, I would hold to my guns and try to either sell it outright on eBay or Craigslist. In my experience, selling it to a dismantler or shop is not always going to be the best deal.

Last edited by NuttyProfessor; 05-15-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:20 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Any updates? If this car will be sold as a roller, I’m still interested as a potential buyer. I love the color combo.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:34 AM
pcarfan944
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by dr914
AND the cars will never appreciate in value like the air cooled cars have done
It was about 10 years ago I passed up a black 951S with low-mid mileage for 10k, probably because of this exact attitude that appears so prevalent on this forum. Ditto on mid-year 911's and SC's.

OP- If you like the car as much as you say, save up the money and buy a used motor when you're able. I would rather be a little over my head financially on a car, to be able to drive my money's worth out of it, than watch it get towed away for 3k and eat that huge loss. Just IMO.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:17 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcarfan944
It was about 10 years ago I passed up a black 951S with low-mid mileage for 10k, probably because of this exact attitude that appears so prevalent on this forum. Ditto on mid-year 911's and SC's.

OP- If you like the car as much as you say, save up the money and buy a used motor when you're able. I would rather be a little over my head financially on a car, to be able to drive my money's worth out of it, than watch it get towed away for 3k and eat that huge loss. Just IMO.
I too missed the 914, 911SC, 951 and Ferrari 308 choo choo trains. It’s sad but it happens.

This advice is great if you enjoy driving the car. If the sight of it causes you ill feelings, parting with it might help. I found a red 00 tiptronic near me with a bad engine for cheap. I may go look into saving it when this work trip is over.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:57 AM
RKCarl
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out:

http://www.ladismantler.com/

Good source of used parts including complete engines. Currently, they have a complete, running 2.7L for sales.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:18 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Except

Originally Posted by RKCarl
Check out:

http://www.ladismantler.com/

Good source of used parts including complete engines. Currently, they have a complete, running 2.7L for sales.

Good luck.
the 2.7 is not an easy swap for a 2.5 1998 which is what the OP has. A list of more Porsche specializing salvage yards is here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 986 IMS Failure