Replacement head unit for 986 with Bose amp retained

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:16 AM
offagain
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Replacement head unit for 986 with Bose amp retained

Hi all,

Just wanted to share the small project that I just finished on my 2004 Boxster 2.7 with the CDR-23, CD changer and Bose amp in the frunk. I know its a pain to replace because of the MOST optical bus that is used, and this has been posted plenty of times in the past. But I wanted to share my experience if anyone is looking to do this in the near future. The important part is that I am keeping the Bose amp, speakers and sub - so retaining them and not replacing them!

I swapped in a Sony XAV-AX100 double din unit and had to get a few things to make it work:

Metra kit for the relocation of the climate control to the lower dash and housing for the double din unit - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Igh4nl...tte-Black.html
MOST optical adaptor - https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32708723316
Wiring harness from CAI audio - https://cai-store.com/collections/99...ant=3737574725
MOST optical terminator -
Amazon Amazon

Just wanted to clarify a few things though. Firstly, I didnt need to get the wiring harness from CAI, but I just wanted to make it simpler and easier. I wasnt actually going to use most of the connectors (speakers etc), but to keep it neat and tidy and simplify things. Basically, you just need the power, ground, accessory and illumination cables. The CAI loom actually comes with instructions to take the accessory power from the ignition key connector as well as an extra cable for the illumination cable too - really good and clear instructions, so I recommend just using them. Simple, but all of the speaker connectors are not used. This is all you need for the power to the headunit and make sure its powered correctly via the key. The next step is around the MOST optical connector.

The MOST system is a nightmare and I would love to strip it out, but I also wanted to make it easier for myself to do. With the replacement of the headunit, the CD changer is useless (and it didnt work anyway) so I removed it from the frunk but you must terminate the MOST optical connector. Just use the MOST optical terminator and plug it onto the connector that is left. That closes the circuit for that part, but you also need to use the MOST optical adaptor for the sound from the headunit. The Sony was selected based on price, performance and that it has RCA output as standard. This is what the MOST optical adaptor is connected to and you need to take the MOST connector that was in the back of the old CDR-23 and plug it in. The adaptor is for later models (cant find one for pre-2005) so you will find that the MOST optical connector that is in the car wont directly connect in - just trim the connector a little AND remove the plastic holder in the MOST optical adaptor. Once this is done it will connect up (make sure its the right way around, if no sound, just swap it around). Make sure you secure it once connected.

The Metra kit works well and is pretty simple to fit, but be aware you do need to cut away the plastic parts in the dash itself. Make sure you have some sort of saw or VERY sharp knife. It took be a while to get it cut down and make it fit. The instructions with the Metra kit were good but do note that you need to trim the top part a little to get it to fit. It will make sense when you try to fit it. The issue is that there is no real holder for the unit or adaptor so maybe look at ways you can do this. Personally a few cable ties and a couple of small screws got it fitted and secure.

And thats it - power from the CAI wiring harness, sound via RCA to the MOST optical adaptor and a MOST terminator for the removed CD changer - now I have sound using the Bose amp and speakers and no more wiring or cables to install! Pretty simple and all up cost me less than $350 (got the Sony as a refurb). Works well, sounds great and better than the older CDR-23 unit and importantly looks pretty standard fit! Now I can have streaming media, navigation via the phone and hands free calling when the roof is up.

Sorry if this is all known already, but I was struggling to get specific details on how to get this to work. So just wanted to get it in one place (and not refer to 996's all the time) and detail what works.
The following users liked this post:
///Mink (09-04-2019)

Quick Reply: Replacement head unit for 986 with Bose amp retained