Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing dual row with single row IMSB?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:13 PM
bekks
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replacing dual row with single row IMSB?

I didn't do enough research beforehand and did not realise that the Pelican IMSB kit only comes with a single row bearing plus spacers if you started with a dual row. Everything I have seen so far regarding swapping the dual for a single is "don't do it", but I am wondering if anyone has done it and what their experience is? If you started with a single and expect to replace the bearing with every clutch then it seems people think this is a good "peace of mind" solution, but if you start with a double then it suddenly becomes really risky. The only difference between a 2000 S and a 2001 S (assuming the 2000 came with a dual and the 2001 came with a single) is the outer cover that either fits the dual or single and spacers can accommodate this change. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think I will open mine up (this weekend hopefully) and unless I see something that really convinces me that my dual row is in excellent condition I will swap it for the single. Or I will look at the part numbers and try to match it with an SKF dual row.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:16 PM
hbrewer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just get a duel roll to replace it
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 PM
bekks
Advanced

Know of anyone that sells a dual row replacement? The bearing shouldn't be more than $50. I am fine with the idea of replacing it with every clutch replacement.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by bekks
Know of anyone that sells a dual row replacement? The bearing shouldn't be more than $50. I am fine with the idea of replacing it with every clutch replacement.
Not sure that would have worked for me. I drove my 2002 Boxster 317K miles on its original clutch. Can't imagine how people can drive one of these cars to require a new clutch every say 50K miles to then use the need to replace the clutch to justify renewing the IMSB.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:08 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Never understood the reasoning for using a replacement bearing of the same materials known to fail, Assuming the original bearing didn't fail and isn't failing, why not take the low probability of the original? And the single row has more load and the spacers are problematic to me. And if the bearing did fail, then do you really have the capability of removing all the debris from the engine so any of the bearings don't fail soon going forward?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:31 PM
bekks
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
Not sure that would have worked for me. I drove my 2002 Boxster 317K miles on its original clutch. Can't imagine how people can drive one of these cars to require a new clutch every say 50K miles to then use the need to replace the clutch to justify renewing the IMSB.
First Boxster for me. I assumed this was a pretty standard timeframe for their clutch, but I'm glad to hear that may not be the case.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:42 PM
bekks
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Never understood the reasoning for using a replacement bearing of the same materials known to fail, Assuming the original bearing didn't fail and isn't failing, why not take the low probability of the original? And the single row has more load and the spacers are problematic to me. And if the bearing did fail, then do you really have the capability of removing all the debris from the engine so any of the bearings don't fail soon going forward?
It is known to fail, but still has a lifespan. The reason I am hesitant to trust the original is I do not have any maintenance history. I just bought the car from the original owner (88k km) and it has sat for the last two years. I have started it up, moved a few feet in first and reverse and that's it. My reading suggests that this car would be ripe for a failure if it was a single row.
I don't think there is a problem with an improved single row (better seal than the original) if it is treated as a wear item. Has anyone had a Pelican kit bearing fail? I wouldn't be surprised if there have been some, but it seems that people are happy with it and I would venture a guess that the failures could be attributed to poor installation.
I appreciate the comments though.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:25 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

I wouldn’t replace a double with a single and I wouldn’t trust any replacement bearing that wasn’t from the best source for these parts.

Your car, your choice though, but it’s not a route I’d go.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Delete
Old 03-16-2019, 12:28 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Delete
Not sure why you deleted, I thought you made good points and stated them clearly.

But as we all know the IMSB is a sensitive subject.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:55 PM
bekks
Advanced

Got the tranny out. Found one torx head bolt with the rest being allen head bolts holding the pressure plate on. I assume this means that the clutch has been removed before. The PO told me the clutch was original, but the IMSB had been replaced, but after looking into it a bit on my own I figured the IMSB replacement was a lie. I'll get the flywheel off this week and see what I find.
As for the IMSB replacement, I am still undecided what to replace it with. I still can't see any scientific reason for not swapping to the improved (better seal and better grease) single row. I haven't come across a single story of someone claiming their Pelican kit bearing failed; I'm sure the stories are out there, but I haven't seen them and I've looked. I would also like to clarify that I am not looking for a lifetime replacement. Replacing it again in 50k miles is fine with me. The other option that I'm leaning towards is replacing it with another dual row that is "off the shelf".
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 AM
bekks
Advanced

Flywheel is off. Grime around the RMS. Shallow dish on the IMSB cover. And I just read about FVD Brombacher's IMS kit, including a dual row. But I have found very little information about it. Anyone hear of any problems with it? It sounds like it is exactly what I've been wanting.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 640 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by bekks
Flywheel is off. Grime around the RMS. Shallow dish on the IMSB cover. And I just read about FVD Brombacher's IMS kit, including a dual row. But I have found very little information about it. Anyone hear of any problems with it? It sounds like it is exactly what I've been wanting.
It’s certainly well priced. https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD1059010...-dual-row.html

sorry, that’s for a M96 motor not the Boxster.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM
bekks
Advanced

Originally Posted by John McM
Guess I didn't read close enough. I was sure I came across the reference to it from a Boxster forum.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:40 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John McM

It’s certainly well priced. https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD1059010...-dual-row.html

The Boxster engine from 97 to 04 is an M96. There are many different versions of M96 though. Any Boxster engine from 97-99 should have a dual row IMS bearing. A 00 or 01 engine could be dual row or single row. All the 02-04 engumibes should be single row. Sadly, the only way to know for certain is to inspect the bearing retainer in the block.

Quick Reply: Replacing dual row with single row IMSB?