Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kaapoooowww! IMS failure happened to me

Old 03-11-2019, 05:16 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear about this Tim! Hope you make the right decision based on your budget. In many cases, you can replace these car cheaper than replacement of the engines. Hope you'll upload some pictures of the damage. It will be truly interesting to see if it was IMS bearing failure that took out the engine.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:21 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Been down this road before with another car. Engine blew and I bought a rebuilt engine from an extremely reputable source and had it installed by the best mechanic in the area. Three months later the rebuilt engine blows up. I had to pay the mechanic to remove and inspect the engine and he said it severely overheated. The re builder refused to cover it under warranty because of what the mechanic told him. I know that the engine did not overheat and something internal failed. But I had two against me so I was out of luck. I lost a lot of money on that fiasco. Never again will I put myself in that compromising situation. My advice> walk away and don't look back.
I'm skeptical myself. But a new factory engine is out of reach. the car itself is too nice to just walk away without trying to fix it. I'm in a quandary as to what route to take it too. I love the car. I'm just about at the point where I take a bath on the car, or try and fix it.
I can't afford another car as nice as this one. So if the numbers don't work, I'll have to walk away and that will really hurt.
So right now, I'm trying to find out whether it's worth pursuing....

tim

Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

another question...will a 3.4 Cayman engine fit my '03 without any major mods required?

tim
Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I while back I wrote up all the options I knew of for dealing with a blown engine. Some of the links may be out of date but the basics are still valid. As to the time to R&R, it all depends on your trans and what you are doing while the engine is sitting on the ground. After all these have lots of old plastic parts and there are things like water pump, AOS, clutch, etc....long list for consideration at that page.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:54 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Tim,

Do not walk away from the car. I can’t do it today but I can help next winter. If I have to fix it for you myself next winter, I will. There is a guy in the Austin area parting out 40 or so Boxsters. I’m sure the resources to get you up and running again exist. If you can’t make it happen, I will. Every holiday season I take two weeks off and play with my toys. I’d be happy to fix yours next winter if it comes to that. I’m putting a lift in my garage next November just for this sort of thing.

If I do this I will start with a known used engine and do a pretty invasive inspection and replace a lot of known wear parts. It’d get a new chain guides, waterpump, AOS, oil filler tube, clutch, and a new IMSB or the solution.

I browse ads almost everyday looking for Boxsters and 996s like this so I can start fixing them. I will quite likely turn one into a spec boxster or spec 996 at some point too for my own use.

Last edited by AnthonyGS; 03-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Anthony,
Thanks for the come back. I need to get a motor soon for two reasons, or three.
One is I have a loaner from mechanic which is a VW Tiguan that he will want back soon.
Two is he'll charge me storage for the car and I have no place to store it.
Three is the Box is my second car and I hate driving my gas guzzling Chevy 6.2L around.
With your local knowledge, can you find me a motor? As you probably know, the engine is a M-96.24 block. So that's what I have to use for a "plug-and-play" motor.
Thank you so much for your very kind offer. I haven't been to Texas in many moons. After I get this running again, I think I might make a road trip your way and share a beer or 12....
tim
Old 03-12-2019, 07:16 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Tim,

Do not walk away from the car. I can’t do it today but I can help next winter. If I have to fix it for you myself next winter, I will. There is a guy in the Austin area parting out 40 or so Boxsters. I’m sure the resources to get you up and running again exist. If you can’t make it happen, I will. Every holiday season I take two weeks off and play with my toys. I’d be happy to fix yours next winter if it comes to that. I’m putting a lift in my garage next November just for this sort of thing.

If I do this I will start with a known used engine and do a pretty invasive inspection and replace a lot of known wear parts. It’d get a new chain guides, waterpump, AOS, oil filler tube, clutch, and a new IMSB or the solution.

I browse ads almost everyday looking for Boxsters and 996s like this so I can start fixing them. I will quite likely turn one into a spec boxster or spec 996 at some point too for my own use.

You're a gr eat person for offering, My hat's off to you. I wonder where Tim is located?

If we were closer, we could get together and have a Tech Day and probably knock it out in a weekend. Many hands make pleasant work!

Old 03-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

I'm in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, on our beautiful Gulf Coast....
there are a lot of Porsche guys here and we are a pretty tight bunch.

tim
Old 03-12-2019, 11:09 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Lawton
I'm in Ocean Springs, Mississippi, on our beautiful Gulf Coast....
there are a lot of Porsche guys here and we are a pretty tight bunch.

tim
My wife went to college in Jackson. Father in law is in Atlanta. We pass that way sometimes. I have a truck and can get your car to TX in a day if needed. I will contact the guy in Austin flush with Boxster parts and inquire about an engine. I'd want video of it running if possible. I can take tools and do a pretty decent inspection too. If he has one, I and it's good, and it's reasonably priced, I will let you know. I will try calling the Austin guy tomorrow during normal hours and see what he says. There is a 2.7L motor near Austin for sale for $1750. It sounds like swapping a 2.7L is difficult though.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Tim,

What a stand up offer !!! Porsche friends !!
Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Anthony,
Thanks for the offer. However, I think the logistics are kind of daunting. The engine may run for a few minutes, but at this point, I doubt it.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to get the work done locally at my shop in Gulfport. Ms.
The 2.7 won't work, although it had crossed my mind. Most of the engine shops are flush with 2.7's and are cheap.
But I bought the S for the grunt and it would never be the same if it was under powered.
I'm kind of depressed about the whole ordeal. I called a lot of people yesterday. Several places were referred to me by Glenn at pelican Parts. One which may pay off if I can dig deep enough for a total rebuild with all of the accessories already on it. A straight "plug-and-play" engine. It's a big bite for me, but in the long game, may end up being cheaper than a used motor with 70k miles on it.

Thank you my friend, for your offer and your generosity....Not too many people like you in the world anymore....

tim
Old 03-13-2019, 10:57 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Tim,

Not sure why but I thought this was an early 2.5 Boxster. An 03S, now we need a 3.2 for certain and likely a later 3 chain engine. I’m still going to try the guy in Austin and see what he has.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 AM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Well the guy in Austin is flush with 2.7s no 3 chain 3.2s, no 5 chain for that matter.

Honestly a fresh 3.6 shortblock from Porsche at $6k may be your best bet given it’s a 3 chain engine. They are hard to find. Used a 3 chain engine is expensive. A 5 chain won’t work because the variocam systems are way different.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:42 AM
Tim Lawton
Advanced

Anthony,
the motor is a 3.2L M96.24 motor. Porsche put them in the '03, '04, and partway into the 987 in '05 according to a couple of guys I know that really know their s**t.
So, I'm kind of stuck. I have found a bunch of M-96.24 engines, but the mileage on them runs from 70k to 120k. they average about $4,500 with no accessories on them (which really isn't a problem since all of the stuff on my motor has less than 40K miles).
So, as I examine my budget and cost\benefit ratio, I probably should make the total rebuild, complete with accessories, as my choice. Since it will be a "new" motor, It should last me as long as I can drive safely. I'm still spinning the numbers.

tim
Old 03-13-2019, 02:50 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tim Lawton
My info says that I need an '03 or later. Porsche introduced variable cams in '03.

tim
Yes 03 or later with vario cam plus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kaapoooowww! IMS failure happened to me