Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filler flexible tube alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 10:25 PM
gth452
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Oil filler flexible tube alternative?

As was replacing my coolant overflow tank, I found the oil filler hose had cracked....again. This is the second one I have had to replace. Has anyone just put in a radiator hose or something like that? I'm heading out in the morning to find something to try but would appreciate any wisdom out there from someone who has done this? Thanks
Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gth452
As was replacing my coolant overflow tank, I found the oil filler hose had cracked....again. This is the second one I have had to replace. Has anyone just put in a radiator hose or something like that? I'm heading out in the morning to find something to try but would appreciate any wisdom out there from someone who has done this? Thanks
Radiator hose will not hold up when exposed to oil.

Really the oil filler tube -- which is plastic -- is the best for that application. A number of owners, a vast majority of owners, have never had that crack/fail.

In removing the coolant tank which is in a tight spot -- the tech when he went to replace the one in my car mentioned this and I offered to let him cut the radiator hoses to ease removal of the tank and added that while he was there he could replace all the hoses not just the one he cut, and the tech said no need to cut the hose and no need to replace the hoses as they are long lived and he proved to be right.... Where was I?... Oh yeah.

In removing the tank maybe you are breaking the oil filler tube? It will hold up but any real force against it can cause it to break.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:09 PM
gth452
Rennlist Member

It failed on the 'accordian' section which is where it had failed the first time (I bought the car with this problem a couple of years ago). It is a tight fit and maybe I just tore it taking it out. For what it is worth, I'm also modifying the manifold that goes through the rear trunk area so this is easier in the future to deal with this and the tank should I ever need to. Thanks for the reply - didn't think about the material compatibility with motor oil.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The hose is only about $32 (from Amazon.) I think I'd probably just keep replacing it as needed. More than likely it cracked when you/your mechanic pulled the reservoir out. When I replaced my engine, I ended up changing out the filler hose and the dipstick tube. AOS tube, too. They get brittle and fragile with age. They all are remarkably not expensive.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

OTOH, you might get compatible rubber hose at a place that builds custom hydraulic & other hoses.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
Radiator hose will not hold up when exposed to oil.

Really the oil filler tube -- which is plastic -- is the best for that application. A number of owners, a vast majority of owners, have never had that crack/fail.

In removing the coolant tank which is in a tight spot -- the tech when he went to replace the one in my car mentioned this and I offered to let him cut the radiator hoses to ease removal of the tank and added that while he was there he could replace all the hoses not just the one he cut, and the tech said no need to cut the hose and no need to replace the hoses as they are long lived and he proved to be right.... Where was I?... Oh yeah.

In removing the tank maybe you are breaking the oil filler tube? It will hold up but any real force against it can cause it to break.
You have other people work on your car? Never would have guessed that.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
You have other people work on your car? Never would have guessed that.
Did some work on both my Boxster and Turbo (oil/filter service, removed front bumper cover, brakes, replacing the odd battery or two), and even my new Cayman S (oil/filter service) but for the bigger things I had the work done at the dealer. I just didn't have any place to work on my cars and many times didn't have the time even if I had the place.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Macster
Race Director

OTOH, you might get compatible rubber hose at a place that builds custom hydraulic & other hoses.
The replacement "hose" -- I am still not in favor of this -- must not only be compatible with the oil but must also be able to resist collapsing when exposed to engine vacuum. This can have the hose end pull away from whatever it is connected too. Of if the connection is really good possibly fracturing what it is connected to.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:08 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Originally Posted by Macster
The replacement "hose" -- I am still not in favor of this -- must not only be compatible with the oil but must also be able to resist collapsing when exposed to engine vacuum. This can have the hose end pull away from whatever it is connected too. Of if the connection is really good possibly fracturing what it is connected to.
Yeah, I just put that in there as a fyi. I got mine from Amazon--2 day prime service I'm spoiled by getting parts online. The best way to do repairs (especially on a Boxster) is to not reinvent the wheel and go with quality replacement parts.

I recall back in the mid 60's the dealer had to order a replacement bendix drive for the starter. A '66 Opel Kadette. From Germany! As I remember, I was just a youngen, it took more than three weeks. Cute car, but what a piece of junk! My dad should have bought the VW instead.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:28 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah, I just put that in there as a fyi. I got mine from Amazon--2 day prime service I'm spoiled by getting parts online. The best way to do repairs (especially on a Boxster) is to not reinvent the wheel and go with quality replacement parts.

I recall back in the mid 60's the dealer had to order a replacement bendix drive for the starter. A '66 Opel Kadette. From Germany! As I remember, I was just a youngen, it took more than three weeks. Cute car, but what a piece of junk! My dad should have bought the VW instead.
Now that was a real piece of junk, at least mine was.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

My brother had a '60 Rekord. Like everything in '70s Michigan it was a rust bucket but for some reason I really liked that car. In those days, everything I worked on was a learning experience. A German car with a three on the tree and a tiny engine. Had some clunkers in my time--I actually bought a Gremlin new--the paint peeled the first year and the throw out bearing started to make noise after 16k miles. Made the Kadette look like high quality.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:54 PM
gth452
Rennlist Member

Yes I decided to just replace it with another porsche part which is on its way. I did cut the manifold and separated the oil filler top from the coolant expansion tank bottom so I can pull them out independently of each other. Can't really see a downside to it - like the water pump gasket, perhaps a Japanese 'combine parts to saving on tooling' concept that was poorly applied. Will make it much easier to go back together and if I need to replace the coolant tank again in the future I can pull the oil filler tube out first to gain access to the hose clamps on the manifold without having to go under the car. If I really wanted to this this right, I would just drill out the manifold nipples and run hoses directly from the coolant tank to the hard coolant lines which I will probably do if I have to do this again. I noted this is what Wayne did in the 101 projects for the Porsche Boxster when he had a cracked manifold nipple. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Oil filler flexible tube alternative?