IMS Retrofit identification

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Boxster_fan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMS Retrofit identification

Hi All,
This is my first post on Rennlist and I'd like some of you LN Engineering IMS experts to chime in. I'm about to have the engine swapped on my '01 Boxster S and I've included some images of the 'new' engine. The mechanic doing the work had one of his guys remove the outard facing plate/seal over the IMS bearing and peer in. They believe the bearing has been recently replaced, and it looks all shiny and new. Does anyone know how to decode the two digit date code on these ('8A', I think)?

Also, I think the patent for these retrofits was granted in 2017. Does anyone know if they started including the patent number on the plate/seal (as pictured) after that?

I'm just trying to square up my vehicle history and I haven't been able to find any posts or other resources that are this specific. I see that the seal might be pinched/damaged (orange seal in radial gap, if you're looking), and I've asked about that.

Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Open a ticket on LN's Support site.
They will get back to you VERY quickly.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:31 PM
Boxster_fan
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, they got back to me quickly. Turns out the markings suggest it has been maufactured within the last 6 months.

Quick Reply: IMS Retrofit identification