Sponsored by:

What is my next move?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 11:29 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
How the hell could a car go from 'running great, parked it' to 'seized motor'? That's insane.
I can imagine a scenario where a plastic part of the chain tensioning system breaks but is held in place by the rotating parts of the engine, then drops into a position where it jams the chain when the engine stops. A similar thing happened in the engine in the 996 that Imo000 repaired, the difference being that in his case the engine was running when the plastic jammed the chain and that led to bent valves.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 PM
tt9714
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE Feb 5
Dropped the oil pan for inspection
  • NO metal
  • Small pieces of orange sealant that was used to seal oil pan to case (normal)
  • Small pieces of black plastic (see below) in pan & oil pick-up strainer -> timing chain guide pad???
Next step: pull transmission, exhaust, then motor

Old 02-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Stuff could have been in there from day #1.

Since it appears the engine was running fine when it was shut off then failed to start because it is believed the engine is locked up the engine didn't run any time so if there is something busted it didn't have time to get munched up and thus there are no real signs of any fragments/debris in the pan. If something failed it jammed the engine I guess immediately and thus remains pretty much intact..

If you are sure you can't turn the engine at least 2 complete revs with the plugs out you have to remove the transmission to ensure the transmission or the clutch is not the problem. If after the transmission is removed and you still can't turn the engine you have to remove the engine and open it up.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:08 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Stuff could have been in there from day #1.

Since it appears the engine was running fine when it was shut off then failed to start because it is believed the engine is locked up the engine didn't run any time so if there is something busted it didn't have time to get munched up and thus there are no real signs of any fragments/debris in the pan. If something failed it jammed the engine I guess immediately and thus remains pretty much intact..

If you are sure you can't turn the engine at least 2 complete revs with the plugs out you have to remove the transmission to ensure the transmission or the clutch is not the problem. If after the transmission is removed and you still can't turn the engine you have to remove the engine and open it up.
I agree. The trans could be locked or a valve fell into the cylinder, etc. But nobody knows and process of elimination is required to narrow it down.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:43 PM
Davefrompa
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Woke up yesterday and saw it was going to be a nice day. Decided to take the Boxster. Got in, dim lights and clicking. Drove it the day prior. Was at the dealer less then a week ago for a full inspection post purchase and confirmed no issues.

Guess what was wrong? Battery needed to be replaced. Showed perfect readings last Saturday. By Tuesday, needed to be replaced.

Hook it all all back together and connect a new battery to see if it cranks.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:30 PM
tt9714
Racer

Update Feb 9 -> photos below
  • transmission out -> no change
  • clutch pressure plate & disc out -> no change
  • flywheel off -> no change
Only thing left is to remove the motor??

Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 PM
tt9714
Racer

Engine officially out.
Next step remove valve covers & camshaft oil pumps for inspection.

Old 02-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

How high did you have to jack the car to remove the engine and what did you drop the engine onto/with?
good luck finding out what the problem is.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm enjoying this thread. Just want to say that is the cleanest engine & trans I've seen get pulled. Also, the shop floor is immaculate.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd guess I'd go to Harbor Freight and get a $50 engine stand. Saves your back and gives better control when working on it. Do you have a cherry picker? If you were close, you could use mine. HF sells those, too. I've used mine enough that it's paid for itself--I think it was about $150 when I got it. I'm really sorry, it's clean because it's such a low mileage engine. If the engine is salvageable, you should do the IMS bearing. Such a babied car!
Old 02-12-2019, 11:44 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
I'd guess I'd go to Harbor Freight and get a $50 engine stand. Saves your back and gives better control when working on it. Do you have a cherry picker? If you were close, you could use mine. HF sells those, too. I've used mine enough that it's paid for itself--I think it was about $150 when I got it. I'm really sorry, it's clean because it's such a low mileage engine. If the engine is salvageable, you should do the IMS bearing. Such a babied car!
The 1000# engine stand from HF works great for M96.
Here's an M96\25 on one:
Old 02-12-2019, 06:30 PM
SC-986
Track Day

Originally Posted by tt9714
Vehicle: 1999 Boxster; 28K miles; original engine; no IMS replacement

Symptoms: No start; Turn key and hear clicking noise at starter. Starter motor does not turn. Dashboard lights dim with key at start position. Car running fine previously.
My wife’s Honda CRV recently had these same exact symptoms. Pulled the battery and took it to Autozone. Battery tested fine using their diagnostic tools.
Battery was (4) years old and obviously not operating to designed intent. Put a new battery in the Honda and voila - happy wife.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-986

My wife’s Honda CRV recently had these same exact symptoms. Pulled the battery and took it to Autozone. Battery tested fine using their diagnostic tools.
Battery was (4) years old and obviously not operating to designed intent. Put a new battery in the Honda and voila - happy wife.
ah to be that easy....
he states further above that even with the transmission, serpentine belt, spark plugs etc removed he still can’t manually turn the crank more then a few degrees. So he’s got bigger problems then a battery. stay tuned and hopefully he’ll let us know what is locked up inside(with pictures would be a bonus).

Old 02-17-2019, 09:55 PM
tt9714
Racer

Update Feb 17
  • all camshafts & all timing chains OK
  • all valves OK
  • cylinder 1 piston cracked at top -> removed 2 chunks by hand -> photos below
I cannot assess cylinder scoring since crankshaft is still jammed.
Ugh.....

Last edited by tt9714; 02-18-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by tt9714
Update Feb 17
  • all camshafts & all timing chains OK
  • all valves OK
  • cylinder 6 piston cracked at top -> removed 2 chunks by hand -> photos below
I cannot assess cylinder scoring since crankshaft is still jammed.
Ugh.....

Bad gas/ low octane.. or knock sensing was compromised. I have seen this a few times, usually the piston shatters.

Quick Reply: What is my next move?