Sponsored by:

Headlamp Switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 10:11 PM
vza
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Headlamp Switch

Hi,Anyone know if the headlamp switch is serviceable...maybe using contact cleaner. One headlight intermittently goes on and off. It's not the ignition switch replaced both mechanical and electrical ignition already.Thanks V
Old 01-29-2019, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Not servicable.

As I replied to your question on another forum, be sure the headlights are secure in the fender tray. A loose headlight can intermittently work.

If the headlights are properly secured in their tray then the switch is bad -- worn out -- and needs to be replaced.

Except maybe not.

There is another possible explanation that occurred to me after I responded to your question on another forum.

I had to have a headlight switch replaced in one of my cars and now I have had time to think about it I believe it was the Turbo. I recall the tech suggested the headlight igniter or starter might be bad but this proved to not be the car. (The Turbo had these igniters or starters for its bi-xenon headlights.) I do not recall how he eliminated the igniter/starter.

So if your car has headlights that have an igniter or starter the igniter or the starter may be the cause of the intermittent light operation. Not sure how to determine it is the igniter or the switch. Maybe -- if they are interchangeable -- swap the igniters and see if the head light problem follows the igniter? If you do this handle the igniters with care. I seem to recall they were expensive if one had to buy a new one.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:37 PM
vza
Instructor

Oh...Didn't see the bit about the fender tray but I'll check it. As for an igniter/starter not too sure where that is I'll have to research it. It's a 99 Boxster base.don't think they're Xenons??
Old 01-29-2019, 01:53 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

From my experience, Macster is dead on... the headlight switches like the ignition switch age poorly and the only proper solution is replacement.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by vza
Oh...Didn't see the bit about the fender tray but I'll check it. As for an igniter/starter not too sure where that is I'll have to research it. It's a 99 Boxster base.don't think they're Xenons??
If the car has the standard headlights -- I forget the descriptive name -- they do not have the igniter/starter. So if one or both don't work reliably and you are sure both are properly installed then the headlight switch is suspect #1. Are you able to affect the headlight behavior by applying pressure to the headlight switch when you turn the switch on? Also, IIRC with my Boxster the key had to be on maybe even the engine had to be running or the headlights would not come on. Also, I seem to recall you were asking about an ignition switch? If so a bad ignition switch can possibly affect headlight operation.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:22 PM
vza
Instructor

Thanks ...the entire ignition switch was replaced. I'll check the lights in the fender tray....if that's not it I'll apply some pressure to the switch and I believe the engine has to be running for the headlights. V

Quick Reply: Headlamp Switch