Replacing 2002 Boxster S engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:37 PM
nantruckit
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing 2002 Boxster S engine

Hi All
I’m replacing the motor in my 2002 986 S with a used motor due to a catastrophic IMS failure. While I have the replacement out I’m doing the IMS, and tensioners. Can anyone on here recommend any other maintenance or upgrades while it’s out?
Thank you in advance.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:12 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Water pump, thermostat, fuel injectors, AOS, plugs and coils.
Then you’re set for hopefully trouble free driving for a while.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 AM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch, inspect DMF, coil tubes, check for valve cover leaks...anything that is a PITA with the engine IN the car.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you gotten your replacement engine? 2000 to 2002 is what you're looking for. As low mileage as possible. If the seller can provide leakdown percentages, that would be good. If you have an automatic, look for an engine from an automatic. Or manual for manual. Otherwise expect to switch over the wiring and do some adaptation for the vacuum lines.(minor) The alternator for manuals is diffferent, too. Are you doing your own work?

Get a fan belt, and expect to need various coolant hoses. A new waterpump (plastic impeller.) New plugs, coils, plastic plug hole liners. new AOS. I put in a spin on oil fllter adaptor and an underdrive pulley and a new belt (takes a smaller belt.)

Edit: and a magnetic drain plug.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 01-17-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by nantruckit
Hi All
I’m replacing the motor in my 2002 986 S with a used motor due to a catastrophic IMS failure. While I have the replacement out I’m doing the IMS, and tensioners. Can anyone on here recommend any other maintenance or upgrades while it’s out?
Thank you in advance.
Sorry to hear you had IMS failure. Can you tell what symptoms you noticed before the engine failed?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by nantruckit
Hi All
I’m replacing the motor in my 2002 986 S with a used motor due to a catastrophic IMS failure.
Think this is the fear of most, if not all, M96 motor owners. I would be interested in hearing how easy or difficult it is to find a good, used replacement motor.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:23 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Sorry to hear about your failure, but I’m really looking forward to your resurrection!
Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

About the same number of Boxsters/Caymans are crashed and totaled as have catastrophic failures. The challenge is getting the right year engine at the time you want it. A list of sources is at this page.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Was not easy finding a motor. I got lucky with mine. My IMS took out my motor last summer. Jake Raby had several new motors available st attractive prices. More $ than a used motor, but his motors use new parts. Used motors still have risk
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal
Think this is the fear of most, if not all, M96 motor owners. I would be interested in hearing how easy or difficult it is to find a good, used replacement motor.
I would not buy a used engine unless I could hear it run 1st, or planned to rebuild it before installing.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:10 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From all the good stuff I've read about Jake Raby, I'd feel pretty confident in buying a rebuilt from him. Probably more reliable than a new one! lol
Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 PM
nantruckit
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the great replies.

I had absolutely no symptoms or signs before the failure. I’m fanatic about maintenance and the engine only had 66k miles.
I don’t granny drive the car but I don’t abuse it either. It is a 6 speed car.
I was slowly pulling out of a parking lot in 1st at about 2500rpms and it suddenly sounded like someone dumped a bag of nickels down my intake. I immediately shut it off, rolled to a stop and called a flat bed. When I got it home it noisily sputtered to life for about a second and stalled. Never started again after that. Up until this the car ran like new. Unreal.
I have another 986 S, same year, that has super high miles (186k!) I’m planning an LS swap for a track car build for this one. Interior is a little rough and body has a few dings and scratches. I’m going to freshen up this motor and put it in the low mileage car.
Any other thoughts from the group are certainly welcome!
Old 01-27-2019, 12:02 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Was not easy finding a motor. I got lucky with mine. My IMS took out my motor last summer. Jake Raby had several new motors available st attractive prices. More $ than a used motor, but his motors use new parts. Used motors still have risk
That wasn’t me. We don’t stock engines here, or run specials. l’ve never discounted an engine in the history of my company.

You were probably thinking about RND Engines, they still have some of the clearance engines on special.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Flatsix does wonderful stuff. For most of us out here in the world, the idea of pouring $16,000 or more into a $10k car doesn't pencil out. I talked to the guy in the office at Flat6inovations, must have been a slow day, he talked with me for almost an hour. Nice guys, definitely not in my neighborhood, tho.

"Hear it run," "buy a used engine and plan on rebuilding it." Nice thoughts, but not realistic. Porsche engines aren't like SBC's or Dodge Magnum V8's. There are usually no Porsche engines where I live. Closest source might be Phoenix, over a hundred miles away. When I bought mine from a guy in LA, it had the mileage and the leakdown results (which were good.) And it was earlier in its life a factory remanufactured replacement engine with an updated factory IMS bearing. But as a friend who runs an indie shop pointed out, can the seller be trusted? You pay your money and hope it works out. Mine turned out to be okay--runs strong and mostly doesn't do anything it's not supposed to. I was on a budget, I swapped the motor out on my own. It wasn't inordinately hard, but the Porsche is so different from anything I've worked on that it certainly was a series of puzzles.

Wish I'd done the AOS while it was out, tho. Life really is a crap shoot!
Old 01-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Flatsix does wonderful stuff. For most of us out here in the world, the idea of pouring $16,000 or more into a $10k car doesn't pencil out. I talked to the guy in the office at Flat6inovations, must have been a slow day, he talked with me for almost an hour. Nice guys, definitely not in my neighborhood, tho.
We never rush conversations. Its also never a slow day here.
We take as long as it takes to answer every question, and we never rush anyone off the phone.
Thge first thing l tell those l am consulting with is “what we create makes no sense if you don’t love the car”.

Loving the car means not giving a damn about book values, or what the market thinks. Probably 1% of the owners of these cars think this way, and if we only built 1%, we’d never be able to keep up. Its not for everyone, and l never intended for it to be.

Quick Reply: Replacing 2002 Boxster S engine