Sponsored by:

keyless entry doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts
Default keyless entry doesn't work

my 99 Boxster came with only one key. The remote entry does not unlock the doors or the trunk. I've changed the battery in the remote and still no help.

I searched and found a few threads about how to sync the key to the car (unlock driver side door with key and then press button 1 with key still in the lock) but still the remote does not sync with the car.

anyone have other suggestions?
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
my 99 Boxster came with only one key. The remote entry does not unlock the doors or the trunk. I've changed the battery in the remote and still no help.

I searched and found a few threads about how to sync the key to the car (unlock driver side door with key and then press button 1 with key still in the lock) but still the remote does not sync with the car.

anyone have other suggestions?
You can try this: Following the owners manual directions disconnect the car's battery for a while. This effectively is a full/complete power reset of the car's electrical system. At the same time momentarily reverse the key's battery in the key. This also causes a full/completer power loss to the key's button circuitry and a full/complete power reset when you flip the battery the right way 'round.

I don't hold much hope the above will help.

The engine starts because the RFID pill from another key -- which worked to start the engine -- was swapped over to the key you have.

But the one key you have doesn't work to unlock/lock the doors because the new key's other ID has not been added to the security system's list of IDs and the security system does not recognize the car's RF signal as being legitimate.

With perhaps a Durametric, certainly a Porsche diagnostics computer, one can determine why the button does not lock/unlock the door locks by query the security module for any error codes for probably I suspect a "key not recognized" code.

The key ID could be entered into the security module's list of IDs if it is not present in the security module but the problem is I suspect you do not have the tag with the key's code on it and without this I know of no way to determine the key's code by other means (barring access to some sophisticated RF test equipment).

Thus the only solution I can see would be at least one new key with the ID tag and have this then introduced to the car's security system. The other IDs -- that are for keys long gone I suspect -- would be at the same time removed.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just went through the same thing. I first made sure that the onboard system was working. I rolled down window and undid the front trunk. I then manually locked the doors and waiting a couple of seconds. alarm went off. Then I locked doors and opened the door with the inside latch. Alarm went off. This told me that the system was working. I had checked my key fob and it never lit up when buttons depressed. I ordered a new fob from one of our vendor Porsche dealers for $138 and took it into the dealer and they programmed it to talk to my car. All is great. I had tried all of the suggested walk arounds and nothing had worked until I went ahead and bit the bullet and paid the price.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:04 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

thanks guys for the replies. I'll give the Macster recommendation a try and if that doesn't work see if my local indy shop can sync the key.

if not, then may have to bite the bullet also.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM
genokelly
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi, can you tell me where you got the key and were there additional costs for programming? was it cut at the dealer?
thanks, I'm new to Porsche and got only 1 key with my car, remote doesn't work for anything.
thanks, Geno
Old 01-14-2019, 03:23 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by genokelly
hi, can you tell me where you got the key and were there additional costs for programming? was it cut at the dealer?
thanks, I'm new to Porsche and got only 1 key with my car, remote doesn't work for anything.
thanks, Geno
I had two keys but the fobs did not work. I got the new fobs at SUNCOAST PARTS, a Porsche dealer online that saved about $85 per fob. The come as a fob only at that price (no key) and a key code for programming. the local Porsche dealer programmed the fobs (both for $140). If you need the key blade as well then I do not have all of the answer for you. Good luck
Old 01-14-2019, 03:44 PM
genokelly
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the fast response.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:59 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

For the blades, I got two of them from here:
https://keysinthepost.com/product/porsche-key-blade/