Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Testing trunk lock actuator/soleniod (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1122689-testing-trunk-lock-actuator-soleniod.html)

Bend986 01-06-2019 11:10 PM

Testing trunk lock actuator/soleniod

Hello

I just subscribed to this list and I'm excited to post a question:

I have a 1998 Boxster. I only had one key and its key fob did not work. The only thing I could do was manually unlock the car (with the key) and start it. To open the truck lid, I had to pull the handle under the driver's door. I just purchased a new key and programmed it at my local Porsche Dealership. The key fob will unlock and lock the doors, but not the truck lid. The trunk actuator makes no sound when I press the fob button. I've now removed the actuator from the truck. How can I test it? How can I test the wiring connector still in the car to make sure that is providing current to the actuator? I would just purchase a new actuator from Sunset, but the part cannot be returned. So I'd like to make sure it is the actuator that is faulty before making a purchase. Thanks for any help!

Bend986

cb1rider 01-07-2019 01:46 AM

I didn't think that the 1998 Boxsters even had electronic front and rear hatch releases, only cable operated ones. If that is the case there is no way your key will open these compartments. The new key that you purchased has the later model option of electric solenoid release. It does not apply to your car. The dealer should have informed you of this. You are better off with the manual releases anyway. They pretty much do not fail, unless the cable breaks. My 2003 S model's front hood actuator failed when hot which resulted in me not being able to open it until it cooled down. Unfortunately that meant that I could not get to my pick nick lunch of food and beverage that was stored in the "frunck" after driving to a nice spot on the river.....

Bend986 01-07-2019 02:22 AM

My 1998 Boxster has an electronic latch release for the trunk, but not for the frunck. Since my last post, I was able to test the actuator (using a battery) and it works fine. So the issue is in the car wiring. I'm not sure how to test that. I'll review some other threads on this website.
I'll check with the dealer to see if my new key fob should open my trunk. Other than the key fob, I don't know how the trunk actuator would be activated.

NuttyProfessor 01-07-2019 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bend986 (Post 15547046)
My 1998 Boxster has an electronic latch release for the trunk, but not for the frunck. Since my last post, I was able to test the actuator (using a battery) and it works fine. So the issue is in the car wiring. I'm not sure how to test that. I'll review some other threads on this website.
I'll check with the dealer to see if my new key fob should open my trunk. Other than the key fob, I don't know how the trunk actuator would be activated.

I've had this problem before. Until you get it sorted out, I'd recommend you make sure the rear manual release cable is accessible. There is a nice video on YouTube if you need help routing it. Good luck!