Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Noisy Dual Mass Flywheel? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1121186-noisy-dual-mass-flywheel.html)

Jim 'n' SC 12-29-2018 10:19 AM

Noisy Dual Mass Flywheel?

Been driving a 2013 981. Had a chance to buy back my 2003 Boxster I had bought new. Needed a clutch & flywheel. Installed new one now when I rev it up between 4-5,000 rpm it makes a loud whining sound when I push the clutch in to shift.

The people that installed the clutch & flywheel said it's normal(of course) I've had a Porsche mechanic at the local dealer ride with me and he thinks it's normal? It's been 10 years since I've owned the car, but I don't remember it making all the noise.

Is it being used to the 981 spoiled me and I just don't remember all the noise from the older Boxster?

Macster 12-29-2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC (Post 15528110)
Been driving a 2013 981. Had a chance to buy back my 2003 Boxster I had bought new. Needed a clutch & flywheel. Installed new one now when I rev it up between 4-5,000 rpm it makes a loud whining sound when I push the clutch in to shift.

The people that installed the clutch & flywheel said the same thing(of course) I've had a Porsche mechanic at the local dealer ride with me and he thinks it's normal? It's been 10 years since I've owned the car, but I don't remember it making all the noise.

Is it being used to the 981 spoiled me and I just don't remember all the noise from the older Boxster?

I don't recall any noise from either my 2002 Boxster's clutch or my 2003 996 Turbo's clutch at any speed.

Did you replace the release bearing when you replaced the clutch hardware and flywheel?

Have you flushed/bled the clutch (and brake) hydraulic system recently?

Jim 'n' SC 12-29-2018 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Macster (Post 15528538)
I don't recall any noise from either my 2002 Boxster's clutch or my 2003 996 Turbo's clutch at any speed.

Did you replace the release bearing when you replaced the clutch hardware and flywheel?

Have you flushed/bled the clutch (and brake) hydraulic system recently?

Yes it has a new release bearing. Don't think bleeding the clutch has anything to do with the noise.

NuttyProfessor 12-29-2018 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC (Post 15528872)
Yes it has a new release bearing. Don't think bleeding the clutch has anything to do with the noise.

I just had my clutch kit replaced. No noise on my end. Shifts smoother than ever before.

Macster 12-30-2018 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC (Post 15528872)

The system is supposed to be bled every 2 years. While letting it go (once) with my Boxster didn't result in a noisy clutch the clutch action was seriously affected along with the shifting.

If the clutch was done and the fluid wasn't flushed and bled afterwards my advice is to flush and bleed the clutch system hydraulic fluid. I'd start with the brake fluid though then progress to the clutch hydraulic system fluid flush/bleed which is the normal order in which this is done.

Just in case.

It is either this or treat the noise as normal -- which it may be even though I can't recall any noise from my 2002's clutch at any RPM -- and drive the car or budget for a transmission drop in order to ensure all is well inside the bell housing.