Sponsored by:

Need advise on replace ecu and alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:34 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advise on replace ecu and alarm

I bought my 98 Boxster in July and now have a real problem. Key would suddenly not activate starter. all else on but no start. Porsche says need replace alarm system under seat and of course the key that activates it. They said that it shows numerous repairs to both the ecu and this alarm system. I have told them to go ahead and replace the alarm system and key so I can drive it. If I have to replace ecu can this be something that I can buy from a seller and just plug in or does it have to be matched to something else? Second question; my spare key is not going to work with the new alarm system since the pill is not matched. Can the second key pill be reprogrammed or replaced so it will work with the new alarm system. Hope this make sense.

just approved replace alarm control unit by Porsche. Seems that once upon a time both the dme and ecu were opened and some repairs were done involving solder. if I flex the control unit it will start sometimes but often not. Looks like the repair from long ago has failed. I will bite the bullet and let Porsche do the work but wow it is expensive. I get a new key and remote programmed and my new spare key will be programmed as well as part of the purchase price.

Last edited by user 20389; 12-17-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:15 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

What did Porsche quote you to replace the alarm system and ECU? I'm assuming that Porsche is *not* including new keyfobs with the ECU replacement? I reserve my opinion on the other once you reply to my question(s).
Old 12-18-2018, 01:18 PM
user 20389
Banned

the quote is $1100 which includes a new key programmed and reprogramming my "new" second key which I had already purchased. They will be replacing the alarm control unit which is damaged and programming all to work.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:18 PM
user 20389
Banned

note: they will not be replacing the ecu since it appears to be working properly
Old 12-18-2018, 01:42 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ddodgen
the quote is $1100 which includes a new key programmed and reprogramming my "new" second key which I had already purchased. They will be replacing the alarm control unit which is damaged and programming all to work.
If $1100 is including the keys programmed and ready for use, then I'd jump on that deal. I know people that have paid more than $3,000 to replace and reprogram the alarm modules with new keyfobs. If they say the ECU is working fine, then don't touch it. Enjoy your car and be thankful it didn't cost you more. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-18-2018, 01:59 PM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
If $1100 is including the keys programmed and ready for use, then I'd jump on that deal. I know people that have paid more than $3,000 to replace and reprogram the alarm modules with new keyfobs. If they say the ECU is working fine, then don't touch it. Enjoy your car and be thankful it didn't cost you more. Just my 2 cents worth.
thanks. I feel a "bit" better after your comments. I had purchased the second key from Suncoast Porsche last week, just before the alarm system failed. The new alarm system comes with a new key and programming. My dealer says he will program that key and any other key I have (if the others had not been programmed before) included in the alarm control system pricing as long as they do it at the same time. The ECU shows that it has been opened but seems to work just fine. Porsche says that if the DME fails I can buy a used part and plug it in and all that needs to be done is have them program it. We will see (if the DME fails in the future). I do think I will find a Tupperware container to sit the units into (leave top off) for any possible water in the future.

Car fax shows the car was sold at auction 4 years ago. my guess is that the DME and alarm got soaked and the owner sold it at auction. I am guessing the new owner had someone "fix" the DME and alarm in order to sell the car. 4 years later I got bit.

I have owned 3-914's, one 944 and now the Boxster. I love the cars and so far I have bitten the bullet on repair costs. I know that I have more invested in my car than I could ever get back upon sale but I still love em.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:22 PM
dr914
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

and that very alarm problem, which is only solved at the Porsche dealer, will, in the future, total many boosters
Old 12-21-2018, 11:00 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

My solution for the immobiliser was to put it in a plastic bag... getting a tupperware or other container in the available space would be a challenge. The holes for the mounting bolts are sealed with caulking as are the wires where the bag is folded around them. I figure I am safe to about an inch over the box.

Last edited by elgy; 12-21-2018 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added picture

Quick Reply: Need advise on replace ecu and alarm