Sponsored by:

MY SINCERE THANKS

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 12:42 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile MY SINCERE THANKS

Since buying my Boxster in June I have played with a non working alarm and door lock system. I have tried almost anything including pricing out an after market system but after several members comments I found that I could lock the door manually with the window down and if I tried to open from the outside the alarm would go off. I also found that if I unlatched the front or rear trunks and then locked the car manually the alarm went off. OK and after making sure that the system under the seat was dry I guessed that the system was fine even though there is several places that have been taped with electrical tape. I decided to cross my fingers and get a new key fob, have it programmed by Porsche and hope that all would work. It took $140 and a half hour but all is well. Everything works.

Thanks to the members that suggested that an after market system should not be done. Your help and advice is appreciated.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:59 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by ddodgen
Since buying my Boxster in June I have played with a non working alarm and door lock system. I have tried almost anything including pricing out an after market system but after several members comments I found that I could lock the door manually with the window down and if I tried to open from the outside the alarm would go off. I also found that if I unlatched the front or rear trunks and then locked the car manually the alarm went off. OK and after making sure that the system under the seat was dry I guessed that the system was fine even though there is several places that have been taped with electrical tape. I decided to cross my fingers and get a new key fob, have it programmed by Porsche and hope that all would work. It took $140 and a half hour but all is well. Everything works.

Thanks to the members that suggested that an after market system should not be done. Your help and advice is appreciated.
You made the wise choice. I wish more people would take this advice. When it comes to the Porsche immobilizers, alarm systems, and keyfobs in these cars, I always recommend biting the bullet and go to the dealership for service. Driving around with just one working keyfob is not smart at all. Get a backup! I can't tell you have many people I've known that get locked out of their cars with no other solution other than towing back to the dealership. And, it's a fools errand if you think you can buy a used keyfob on ebay and take it to a Porsche dealership for reprogramming. Not gonna happen.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:13 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the suggestion. I will save up for the second key. I have the key with a working pill but no guts to it. Will need the $138 for the fob and then programming at $140
Old 12-12-2018, 04:56 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

The 986 era cars worked just fine with a key and none of the buttons working. Both my original key electronics failed and I never bothered to get either of them fixed. Most of the time I left my car unlocked. With a convertible, I wanted to make it easy for thieves to get in and find I had nothing there they wanted without ripping up the top.

Quick Reply: MY SINCERE THANKS