Sponsored by:

Safari/Rally Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:23 AM
Driven_Texas
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safari/Rally Boxster

Serious inquiry here. I live in downtown Houston TX where the roads are absolutely terrible. I picked up a cheap 986 to daily since a lowered 911 was becoming a hassle. I am strongly considering doing a safari style build for the car. All terrain tires, mudflaps, hood mounted rally lights, custom bumpers, and of course beefier suspension. My question is, has it been done? If so, does anyone have any pictures for inspiration or a link to a documented build?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 11-19-2018, 12:40 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Someone did it to a 996, which is pretty much the same thing: https://jalopnik.com/the-porsche-911...and-1825575772

Here' a RL thread about modifying a 996: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...996-forum.html

Plenty more out there.
The following users liked this post:
skucera (09-06-2020)
Old 11-20-2018, 11:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven_Texas
Serious inquiry here. I live in downtown Houston TX where the roads are absolutely terrible. I picked up a cheap 986 to daily since a lowered 911 was becoming a hassle. I am strongly considering doing a safari style build for the car. All terrain tires, mudflaps, hood mounted rally lights, custom bumpers, and of course beefier suspension. My question is, has it been done? If so, does anyone have any pictures for inspiration or a link to a documented build?

Thanks,

Peter
It has been done. Years ago I came upon a magazine article on a Boxster set up for off road racing, rally racing. Unfortunately I don't recall any details other than it was mentioned in the event of an accident that took out one of the two radiators the hoses could be clamped to isolate the damaged radiator and the remaining radiator had enough cooling capacity to keep the engine's coolant temperature in safe limits.

Not the car I remember reading about but at least it shows you the Boxster being used off road.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1393823424.jpg
Old 11-20-2018, 07:47 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You know, you're entitle to dream anything you want. I personally wouldn't start with a low to the ground German sports car and try to make an off road or rough road vehicle out of it. It's low, lots of aluminum in the suspension components which may not be very tough. Just a money pit for all terrain that wouldn't yield a vehicle that was worth spit.

It would be cheaper and easier AND more effective to build a 20 year old 4wd Ram or Dakota. And you could start with something already off road suitable. I have an old (but pristine) Extra cab Dakota with a V8, factory towing, 4wd. Beefier brakes, diffs, and a heavy duty trans. Wouldn't take much to change it into a superior off roader and my truck is on it's best day only worth $3 grand.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade (Houston gets enough rain already?) But it seems to me that you could do better than an old Boxster for a starter vehicle. Like an old Explorer, RAV4, or Suburu?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:28 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
You know, you're entitle to dream anything you want. I personally wouldn't start with a low to the ground German sports car and try to make an off road or rough road vehicle out of it. It's low, lots of aluminum in the suspension components which may not be very tough. Just a money pit for all terrain that wouldn't yield a vehicle that was worth spit.

Old 11-21-2018, 02:07 AM
Mfoley
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Peter, I love your idea and have already started doing the same thing. I’m never going to race mine but I will take it off road. It’ll make an awesome urban Porsche too. The hardest part will be the shocks. I’m working on a 4 inch lift with 9 inches of shock travel. I’m also thinking about removing the small radiators and putting one larger one in the frunk.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:06 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Cute! But still too low and only 2wd.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:52 PM
Mfoley
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian, You might find it educational to search Porsche Dakar.
Arvid Karlberg (12-03-2019)
Old 11-22-2018, 01:25 PM
lmnsblu355
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

my guess is that Brian is too young to know what he is looking at there.

Arvid Karlberg (12-03-2019)
Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 PM
digs
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Sounds like an awesome project . You may think about lifting without increase in travel ? Or some type of mid distance travel compromise ?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:33 AM
Geof3
Advanced

Yeah... sure. Look up the 959... and by the way, take a look at the latest videos of the 964’s doing Baja 1000

I think a Safari Boxster would be sweet if done right.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfoley
Hey Peter, I love your idea and have already started doing the same thing. I’m never going to race mine but I will take it off road. It’ll make an awesome urban Porsche too. The hardest part will be the shocks. I’m working on a 4 inch lift with 9 inches of shock travel. I’m also thinking about removing the small radiators and putting one larger one in the frunk.
The radiators are not that small and there are two of them and one could even add a 3rd in the center. As I mentioned in a previous post there is plenty of reserve cooling capacity even if one radiator is "lost".
Old 11-30-2018, 12:37 PM
Driven_Texas
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies all. I have started the work on my idea for tubular bumpers and a custom rally light setup. Ill try to upload some pictures her this weekend.

@brian in tucson, I appreciate the thoughts but Porsches are my passion and this is just a cheap enjoyable project for me. Im not really looking to attack mud pits or climb mountains. I just want a fun project, I want something that can hop curbs and crush potholes, yet is still enjoyable to drive. I see alot of gravel and dirt driving in its future, but nothing major in terms of off roading. Plus, trucks and regular 4x4s are boring to me.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Driven_Texas
Intermediate

@Mfoley Thats awesome! I knew I couldnt be the first with this idea. I would love to see some pictures of your build! Post them here if you have any or pop me an email too if youd be so kind, peter@driventexas.com.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:54 PM
Geof3
Advanced

One other thing to consider is the less than stellar power steering system under load (can over heat). Maybe think about at least an under drive pully and/or secondary cooling, or go with a fully electric system, or even one further and go full manual and eliminate the PS all together. There is a guy here in Colorado that can convert your rack to manual inexpensively. Personally, I would go manual or electric and eliminate the PS pump all together on the engine. Prob get rid of the AC too of reasonable in your area.

Quick Reply: Safari/Rally Boxster