Sponsored by:

Safari/Rally Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 04:16 PM
nantruckit
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any progress on this build?
I'm dying to put some BFG's and a lift on my 2002 S.
Would love to get some ideas and see some photos.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:16 PM
air993
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I too am interested. Please give us an update and pictures.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:15 AM
Rick Davis
Track Day

After years of national level SCCA Pro Rally experience all with BMW's I can tell you you are headed for tears.
A lift on a Boxster is going to change your suspension geometry in expensive ways. And without some sort of bracing or cage,
cowl shake will be a future issue. Wrong car ..get a Sube WRX and smile.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:30 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
After years of national level SCCA Pro Rally experience all with BMW's I can tell you you are headed for tears. A lift on a Boxster is going to change your suspension geometry in expensive ways. And without some sort of bracing or cage, cowl shake will be a future issue. Wrong car ..get a Sube WRX and smile.
The OP isn't looking to actually rally the car, he's trying to deal with the crap roads where he lives and go for an overall look in the process:
Originally Posted by Driven_Texas
I live in downtown Houston TX where the roads are absolutely terrible. ... I am strongly considering doing a safari style build for the car.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
The OP isn't looking to actually rally the car, he's trying to deal with the crap roads where he lives and go for an overall look in the process:
Have to offer up while the roads are crap a Boxster set up with a rally suspension is not the solution.

Roads where I live and work are crap. Example: Last night leaving the officer in Hayward, CA and driving on Hesperian Ave just north of A street in the middle lane I hit a pothole with such force I felt sure the tire was blown. OH, I was in my MINI JCW with runflats. Between calling Governor Nuisance every name in the book -- he announced a while back the tax money CA is collecting from higher CA gas taxes he's going to spend that on something other than roads -- I watched the TPMS display.

Tire pressure remained good so I dropped co worker off at BART station then hit the road for home. Made it ok with no signs of any issues.

This AM back in the JCW and on the way to work and called up the TPMS. Low right front tire. The one that hit the pothole. Tire pressure was 29psi while the other side was around 39psi. Tire had lost 10psi over night. Since I was on the freeway and I knew traffic was light and the tires are run flats I decided to drive on to the dealer just 10 miles away. After a few miles got a warning of a low tire and a reminder to keep my speed down.

Made it to the dealer and had a chance to look at the tire. Spotted a small sidewall bulge. In less than 2 hours had the car back with the bad tire replaced.

I don't need a car with rally suspension, I need a car with tank tracks or something that can withstand the G-damned potholes.

In the meantime I'm going to sign a petition to recall the sorry excuse for a governor that heads this state.
Old 12-06-2019, 05:12 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 12-13-2019, 04:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Yes, in downtown Houston you need a tall but small car.
I hated trying to park my truck downtown.
A small car is necessary, but some of the road are pretty bad, the rest are horrible.
I'm tempted to go buy the cheap salvage Boxster on Houston CL and make a Safari Boxster as well.
Let me know how it goes!
Old 09-01-2020, 06:47 PM
n2deep
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone making any progress? My first priority was to be able to flat tow mine behind my Dynamax and I've been on several long trips without any problems. The car is getting a new suspension now. I'm having a known rally shop do the work and they have seen lots of interest in my project. We are using mostly Porsche parts from different years along with some Tarett parts and Cusco struts. It has 15 inch Braid wheels and BFG tires. We went with the 15 inch wheels so I could readily find proper rally tires if I ever want to race it. I should be driving it in 2 weeks. If I like it I'm planning to relocate the radiators to the frunk and remodel the front bumper cover next. I'll post pics of the final stance soon and give you my thoughts on how it drives.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:43 PM
Tarett Engineering
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

We’re working with n2deep on his suspensions mods, and will have the whole kit available once it’s all sorted out. We’re also working on this car which will have similar mods, but with a coil over kit that we’re developing with MCS. It will have a lift range of 3” to 5” over stock. Updates to follow.
Ira

www.Tarett.com | Sales@Tarett.com | 858.674.5573

Check out our new Suspension Package Designer

The following 5 users liked this post by Tarett Engineering:
808Bill (09-03-2020), Julian_KCMO (07-02-2021), Shawn Stanford (09-03-2020), skucera (09-06-2020), TheBird (10-14-2022)
Old 09-03-2020, 05:38 PM
ianacole
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if you've seen this one yet: http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell...ld-thread.html
Old 09-03-2020, 06:36 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ianacole
Not sure if you've seen this one yet: http://986forum.com/forums/show-tell...ld-thread.html
I love this, thanks for posting!
The following users liked this post:
ianacole (09-03-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 09:52 PM
robino1330
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Tarett Engineering
We’re working with n2deep on his suspensions mods, and will have the whole kit available once it’s all sorted out. We’re also working on this car which will have similar mods, but with a coil over kit that we’re developing with MCS. It will have a lift range of 3” to 5” over stock. Updates to follow.
Ira

Any updates on this project? I'm interested to see how it turned out, and might be interested in a similar conversion myself.

Quick Reply: Safari/Rally Boxster