Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum-67/)
-   -   Is boxster ever going to be a classic? (https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/1111758-is-boxster-ever-going-to-be-a-classic.html)

studlee 11-14-2018 01:33 AM

Is boxster ever going to be a classic?

What are your thoughts? Example: 2001 Mint boxster S low miles under 30k...will it ever be worth anything more than $20k?

studlee 11-14-2018 02:21 AM

Ok...I see the post below with the boxster article.

Shawn Stanford 11-14-2018 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by studlee (Post 15429712)
What are your thoughts? Example: 2001 Mint boxster S low miles under 30k...will it ever be worth anything more than $20k?

I don't think it's worth $20k. $15k, tops. More like $12k.

NuttyProfessor 11-14-2018 10:59 AM

Well, if you're an archeologist, even a buried turd is worth something in a 1000 years.

dr914 11-14-2018 11:59 AM

never, cheaply built, too electronic, will not have parts available, too much technology to fail. (I can imagine the Boxster guy in 2025 with a 97 model with a permanently closed convertible top because he cannot afford to repair the broken frame nor the electronics on his 3000 dollar Boxster

JBMOTTO 11-14-2018 03:51 PM

I have always had a soft spot for the 986 even though the engine is a weak link. I guess I am used to rooting for the underdog.
I think this will support prices for the better 986: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...n-986-boxster/

I feel that young buyers of cheap used 986s will always remember their first imperfect Porsche as their finances and tastes expand through the years. They will look back on that first second-hand Porsche with fondness and bid up the best examples later in life.

Shawn Stanford 11-15-2018 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dr914 (Post 15430341)
never, cheaply built, too electronic, will not have parts available, too much technology to fail. (I can imagine the Boxster guy in 2025 with a 97 model with a permanently closed convertible top because he cannot afford to repair the broken frame nor the electronics on his 3000 dollar Boxster

Wait... Your handle is dr914 and you're saying the Boxster is cheaply built?

joseph mitro 11-15-2018 08:40 PM

:roflmao:

mikefocke 11-15-2018 09:24 PM

I sure wouldn't pay $20k for that car ...and probably not even $14k unless it had impeccable records showing an oil change every year, a 90k service equivalent, recent best tires, a best IMS replacement, a PPI by the best mechanic in town, and probably a dozen other things. Classic? Maybe the first 100 VINs from '97 but by '01 they were a commodity and at such low mileage you run the high risk of it having sat neglected for years. Boxsters are daily drivers and I'd rather spend the extra money updating all the wear items in the suspension, the mounts, the plastic bits, an alignment, new tires, etc. Just as I did when I bought my second Boxster (an '01S BTW) which was almost free of significant maintenance spending for the next 5 years.

paulofto 11-16-2018 12:08 AM

914's are now classics but I remember back in the '80s you couldn't give them away. Will the 986 become one? Porsche already says they are and some recent auction prices are beginning to show an upward trend. Only time will tell but I'm likely to be dead by the time they gain any value. And I don't care.

NuttyProfessor 11-16-2018 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by paulofto (Post 15434063)
914's are now classics but I remember back in the '80s you couldn't give them away. Will the 986 become one? Porsche already says they are and some recent auction prices are beginning to show an upward trend. Only time will tell but I'm likely to be dead by the time they gain any value. And I don't care.

The 914.... the ugly duckling turned swan. I was just looking at recent 5 year auction prices for 914 vs. the Boxster. It's like 180 degrees difference. I would have never thought that people would spend 6 figures on a 914, but folks, that's what is happening. Unfortunately, values for the Boxster continue to depreciate at about $1000 per year. Maybe someday people will see them as attractive investments, but not at the moment. Anything is possible.

dr914 11-16-2018 01:43 PM

the 914 is a high quality build as compared to the Boxster, just like all of the older air cooled Porsche. They had to cheapen the build to make money. Plus they figured out in this disposable society, no one was going to keep these new cars very long. SO we get a lot of bang for the buck for a short time and them move on

Do not get me wrong, I love the Boxster and drive one every day, and it is by far the best porsche buy

joseph mitro 11-16-2018 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by dr914 (Post 15435173)
the 914 is a high quality build as compared to the Boxster, just like all of the older air cooled Porsche. They had to cheapen the build to make money. Plus they figured out in this disposable society, no one was going to keep these new cars very long. SO we get a lot of bang for the buck for a short time and them move on

I've restored every nook and crannie of this 914 in my signature, and I'd have to disagree. the 914 is/was cheap. cheap vinyl seats; cheap carpet, cheap wheels. cheap plastic. the Boxster is, by comparison, much better built. But IMHO that simply reflects the advancing automotive technology from the 70s to the 90s.

as to whether the Boxster will be a classic - probably not in the "collectible" sense of the word, but sure is fun to drive.

GVA-SFO 11-16-2018 07:17 PM

..so funny !
About 10 years ago, a good friend of mine told me that he wanted to sell his 911.
This is a guy that did few Monte Carlo Rallyes, a good driver, knowing cars very well.
His car was an original 1967 911S (SWB).
I told him : DO NOT SELL IT, it will take a lot of value, but take some time, as a "lot" were built, just WAIT !
He sold it for around 30k (Swiss, ..but, this is about 1:1 with USD !)

At THAT time, ..it was the price you can find some of "these" !
Today, ..we all know how much you have to spend ..to get an original 911 SWB !

In my opinion (I had many 911 in my life, and now, I have a Boxster, ..because I wanted a car with the engine at the right place), the Boxster is simply a fabulous car.
I'm sure that one day, (when, I do not know, ..but that long !) a low miles old Boxster will be a super great car to find !

..my two cents !

About "cheaply built" : Did you ever saw how a Ferrari is built ?? ( ROTFL)

dr914 11-17-2018 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by GVA-SFO (Post 15436014)
..so funny !
About 10 years ago, a good friend of mine told me that he wanted to sell his 911.
This is a guy that did few Monte Carlo Rallyes, a good driver, knowing cars very well.
His car was an original 1967 911S (SWB).
I told him : DO NOT SELL IT, it will take a lot of value, but take some time, as a "lot" were built, just WAIT !
He sold it for around 30k (Swiss, ..but, this is about 1:1 with USD !)

At THAT time, ..it was the price you can find some of "these" !
Today, ..we all know how much you have to spend ..to get an original 911 SWB !

In my opinion (I had many 911 in my life, and now, I have a Boxster, ..because I wanted a car with the engine at the right place), the Boxster is simply a fabulous car.
I'm sure that one day, (when, I do not know, ..but that long !) a low miles old Boxster will be a super great car to find !

..my two cents !

About "cheaply built" : Did you ever saw how a Ferrari is built ?? ( ROTFL)

look at even low mile Boxster and 996 seats: As compared to 993 and earlier cars, they must have made the Boxster seats from skinnier cows!