Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP... fuel pump relay or CPS???

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:14 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default HELP... fuel pump relay or CPS???

Ok... car wouldn't start out of the blue. I get codes off durametric , but didn't have check engine light on at any time. My point is ... I'm not sure how old they are.

So ... initially I had Fuel pump relay, CPS bank 2 , and a few others. I clear all, turn over a few times and get Fuel pump relay. So jump the relay ...the car starts fine. I order the one that I can get the fastest....KAE.

Car doesn't start after install. I get the same code ... fuel pump relay. I jump it again... car runs perfect and zero code or noise.

Is it Another issue or possibly the new relay is bad??? Thoughts?

Is there a way to test for a signal to the relay??
Old 10-22-2018, 08:57 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Ok... I ran the engine and checked Cam position and they are pretty solid with similar fluctuations when reeved. Cam position Deviation -7.23 and -5.76

Ps... Porsche makes a great jumper relay.Name:  photo106.jpg
Views: 2026
Size:  171.7 KB
Old 10-23-2018, 12:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
Ok... car wouldn't start out of the blue. I get codes off durametric , but didn't have check engine light on at any time. My point is ... I'm not sure how old they are.

So ... initially I had Fuel pump relay, CPS bank 2 , and a few others. I clear all, turn over a few times and get Fuel pump relay. So jump the relay ...the car starts fine. I order the one that I can get the fastest....KAE.

Car doesn't start after install. I get the same code ... fuel pump relay. I jump it again... car runs perfect and zero code or noise.

Is it Another issue or possibly the new relay is bad??? Thoughts?

Is there a way to test for a signal to the relay??
When the fuel pump was suspected when my Boxster engine died just a few seconds after starting I ordered a Porsche bypass relay to eliminate the fuel pump relay. It came in but an indy shop owner was in desperate need of one and the Porsche parts department manager asked me if I minded he selling it to the indy shop owner. I did not. A tech at the dealer loaned me his bypass relay and I used it and it made no difference. 'course, I had checked the fuse.

Took the car in and the tech disconnected the fuel pump from the car's electrical system and connected it to 12V shop power and the fuel pump didn't run. Bad fuel pump.

You probably need to do something similar. Far more fuel pumps fail than relays and I don't think I've ever come across a situation where the signal to the fuel pump relay has been bad. This would mean the wiring harness was bad or the DME was bad. Unless rodents have been at the car the wiring harness while not entirely above suspicion is not where I'd start.

The new relay is always suspect. Here is again where a bypass relay would come in handy.

The only test of the signal to the relay would be I guess to ensure it was getting the proper electrical signal when the key was turned on. But I would be careful. If you inadvertently static discharge into one of the pins you can damage the DME.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:28 PM
shadow993
Drifting

The new relay was bad or wrong one.

I checked the switch source for the relay at the relay plugin sight....it showed 2 sources w/ 12v key on. In looking at the relay, it looks like the switch is reversed, so it's not able to close the circuit . The invoice shows right part ... all other is correct, but switch is backwards on the new relay.

Quick Reply: HELP... fuel pump relay or CPS???