Sponsored by:

Do I have ABS or not

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 10:48 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I have ABS or not

my 1998 986 shows regular dash light for ABS and when started it goes out. My code reader shows ABS not activated. Brakes seem to work great. Is there a way to check ABS or test effectiveness? could it just be my reader does not show ABS? Perfectly willing to drive forever as is but would really like to know if there is an easy way to test them. Thanks for your help
Old 10-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Peter Ogden
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Accelerate to a decent speed, then jam the brakes on as hard as you can and don't release - as simple as that. If the ABS is functioning, then you should experience pulsing back through the brake pedal and a rapid stop. If it isn't functioning properly, you get a long skid.

ABS not activated may simply mean that the ABS is not currently in use (i.e. ABS only active when you are in a full-on braking action), not necessarily malfunctioning.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:01 AM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by Peter Ogden
Accelerate to a decent speed, then jam the brakes on as hard as you can and don't release - as simple as that. If the ABS is functioning, then you should experience pulsing back through the brake pedal and a rapid stop. If it isn't functioning properly, you get a long skid.

ABS not activated may simply mean that the ABS is not currently in use (i.e. ABS only active when you are in a full-on braking action), not necessarily malfunctioning.
I should have known that. Thanks for your insight.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:11 PM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by ddodgen
I should have known that. Thanks for your insight.
had tried in the wet but traction is really too damn good. Tried In the snow and yep they work great. Thanks

Quick Reply: Do I have ABS or not