Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic shifting from 3rd to 5th, then 4th, all with 4th light displayed ?

Old 10-16-2018, 11:28 PM
mb230sl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic shifting from 3rd to 5th, then 4th, all with 4th light displayed ?

Hi guys,

Post reassembly with Mercedes split timing chains, the Boxster is running beautifully. It is the first time since it has been in Australia that it has been both road legal and running at the same time.

However the transmission has developed a problem. During the 3 to 4 shift, the 4th gear light comes on, but it feels as if it goes straight to 5th, then after a few seconds, settles into fourth. It then shifts into top gear normally.

I really only noticed the problem after the car sat for several weeks with a flat battery. On the first run after it sat, it developed a running issue at idle - bad missfire, felt a bit like a vacuum leak, but the roads were very wet, so I wondered if the coils had been splashed or some such. After a blast, it ran beautifully again and I thought nothing of it until just now as I write about the trans issue.

I have disconnected the battery to try and clear adaptations but it remains the same.

Any thoughts would be welcome
Old 10-17-2018, 09:48 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Have you tried to manually shift through the gears to see if the tranny is responding correctly?
Old 10-17-2018, 07:16 PM
mb230sl
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, yes, it seems to respond just fine when shifting manually. There is no sign of slip when in automatic mode, even during the odd shift moment. 80,000 miles. It seems to me it is a control rather than mechanical issue - that the trans is just doing what the ECU tells it to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tiptronic shifting from 3rd to 5th, then 4th, all with 4th light displayed ?