Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preferred brake pads for Track / Street use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Maytag
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Preferred brake pads for Track / Street use?

Hey y'all:
I've been running EBC yellows this year on my '03 Boxster S. The car sees about 50/50 track/street use. My home track is UMC (formerly Miller) in Utah. I;ve been unimpressed with the EBC pads; they fade quickly on the track and don't inspire confidence at all.
I'm looking to change to something else next spring. I've been reading about the PFC08 pads, which seem to impress most who use them. But I haven't found anyone using them on a Boxster yet. I've also heard form some locals that they use the Pagid RS39 (which I can't find, so I assume they meant RS29?). But reading-up, they don;t seem to compare favorably to the PFC08.

Do any of y'all have first hand knowledge & experience with either of these? Are there other pads that y'all are using which you're happy with?

Hit me!?!? haha
Old 10-09-2018, 10:54 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

on my 04S I have used Pagid RS29 yellow on the front and RS14 black on the rear. This has been a common combination for the 986. Can be noisy on the street but swapping pads is easy if the noise bothers. I've used the PFC 11 on a 987 Cayman and like them also.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Maytag
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
on my 04S I have used Pagid RS29 yellow on the front and RS14 black on the rear. This has been a common combination for the 986. Can be noisy on the street but swapping pads is easy if the noise bothers. I've used the PFC 11 on a 987 Cayman and like them also.
Awesome, first-hand exprience! thanks!
So, are you racing with this combo? or DE? or?
Old 10-09-2018, 11:40 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Maytag
Awesome, first-hand exprience! thanks!
So, are you racing with this combo? or DE? or?
DE intermediate and advanced groups, mostly at the old TWS. I did one weekend on the oem pads and felt they lacked bite. I had used the Pagids on a Cayman previously so went with them. Most of the comparisons of Pagid to PFC I've read suggest the PFC can be run down thinner without loss of performance vs the Pagids which can crack and crumble when they get down to 50% or less. You could also post in the Racing and DE subforum and may get more replies.

I did a one day class with the Ford school at UMC, think it was the West part. Would really like to go back some day, but it's a long way from Tx.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

RS29 front and RST3 rear is a common Pagid application for Spec Boxster.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 10-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I run pfc 08s and 11s. They work very well, and even found them to be pretty quiet on the street once bedded.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:47 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Give the Ferodo DS1.11 a try. Ferodo has been around forever and they make an extremely high quality product. They are in a different league vs. what you've been using. They are wildly popular in the 991 GT3 market right now, and they are the most popular brand among our Essex Designed AP Racing Brake Kit customers.

You can see all of the options for your car here:
https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...oxster%20S/986

You can see more about the compounds and brand here:
https://www.essexparts.com/brake-pads/ferodo-brake-pads
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 10-12-2018, 09:30 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I have used PFC08's fir years, very happy. Recently just put the Ferodo on, very impressed with them as well
Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Plastikos
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
agreed. I ran RS29 front, Pagid Street/Sport rear on my 04S. The Pagids last forever. I did just swap to PFC 08 rear, notrack days yet as I blew my engine 1st session...

you do have to chuck out the shims, the Pagids are quite a bit thicker than regular pads.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:23 AM
BFT3.2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 67 Posts

I've been using Raybestos ST-43 endurance pads for four years now. My recent set in my 2600 lb street legal 986 track car has 20+ days on them in int./advanced PCA DE run group at Lime Rock, the Glen and Palmer, have 40% remaining in front and 60% in the rear, between track and street around 12K miles. They work great cold on the street and have been nearly silent, plenty of stopping power and torque on the track. Not even interested in trying something else next season, love em. Porterfield cuts them custom for 986, takes about 2 weeks to fill a order. https://www.porterfield-brakes.com
Old 10-29-2018, 01:55 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 446 Likes on 332 Posts

I run Hawk DTC 60s on my 2009 Boxster PDK Sport, Sport Plus in the front and OEM on the back. Have a friend who has a serious Cayman S who runs them front and back. Excellent pads and much less than Pagids. They are track only, too squeaky AND cold nature for the street. Once you get the Porsche OEM pads off with the silencer plugs they slip in and out. Suggest a cheap OEM equivalent for the street that you can change without removing the brake caliper. Depending on how often you run and change rotors consider a brake caliper stud kit. The aluminum threads in the knuckle for the brake caliper bolts are prong to damage. $125 a set, $250 for front and back. Get the stud kit for the brake line bracket. You need to remove the brake line bracket to get a little more flex room to remove the calipers with the studs. The brake line bracket is a blind tiny bolt on the back of the knuckle also prone to stripping. The brake line bracket stud makes it much easier.

Quick Reply: Preferred brake pads for Track / Street use?