Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMS DIY - easier on 986 or 996, or the same?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 10:53 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Default IMS DIY - easier on 986 or 996, or the same?

Looking to buy a 986 or 996. See a lot of them without the IMS bearing replaced. I have a garage, with a lift in the plan, so is there a big difference in level of difficulty in replacing the IMS bearing between the Boxster & 911? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:46 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

If I had a vote, the 996 is much easier to conduct a IMS job. This has a lot to do with the engine layout - rear engine config vs. mid-engine config. Also, are you talking about manual cars or tiptronic? Big difference in the amount of labor involved. Because the way the tiptronic gear box is connected to the engine, most mechanics will remove the engine and transmission to handle an IMS job.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by audi49
Looking to buy a 986 or 996. See a lot of them without the IMS bearing replaced. I have a garage, with a lift in the plan, so is there a big difference in level of difficulty in replacing the IMS bearing between the Boxster & 911? Thanks.
The transmission was removed from my Boxster -- to replace a leaking RMS. The transmission in my 996 Turbo was removed several times, once to replace the transmission under warranty and again about 100K miles later to replace an RMS.

In all cases of course I didn't do the work but I spent some time talking to the techs about the work and according to the techs the removing the transmission was not that big of a deal. The Turbo had a more complicated exhaust -- pretty much everything after the turbos is removed -- and some of the intake system -- the inter coolers and associated plumbing -- had to be removed and the engine supported -- the last time the tech used a brace that bolted to the where the rear sway bar bolted and had adjustable bolts to support the engine but beyond that. 'course, a N/A 996 won't have the complicated exhaust system and the intake system would not need be touched at all to drop the transmission. The engine would still need to be supported though.

Mark the half shaft flanges so when you go to reinstall then you can put them back with the same orientation. If you don't this can introduce what appears to be an unbalanced wheel/tire vibration but of course can't be addressed by a wheel/tire balance.

Oh, both transmissions were manuals.

Based on my 2nd hand info the choice of which car to buy, 986 or 996, should be made based on what kind of car you want: mid-engine roadster or a rear engine coupe (or Cab maybe). The difference in IMS bearing replacement difficulty is pretty much inconsequential. You of course want to make sure whichever car you pick is in otherwise good condition and the IMS bearing has not started to go bad.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

removing the transmission from the boxster is very easy. I'd say boxster is easier given location.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. FYI - i'd be looking at a manual.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:53 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by audi49
Thanks for the feedback. FYI - i'd be looking at a manual.
Jake Raby just posted on the 996 sub forum that he recently participated in a DIY training video on the IMS solution. I assuming it will cover all steps of the pre-qual and install procedure. You may want to subscribe to his YouTube channel.

Quick Reply: IMS DIY - easier on 986 or 996, or the same?