Sponsored by:

Removing Spoiler Rivets

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:59 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Removing Spoiler Rivets

Someone please help me remove the 3 black plastic rivets holding the spoiler trim on.

I see a few references online to punching out the center pin, but I have looked carefully and there is no such pin I can see.
I applied center pressure with a punch to no result.

If I remove the spoiler end cap and peer in with light, I can see the rivet - concentric ridges on the body and a pin protruding from the bottom.

Any help can be appreciated.
2000 Boxster S

Old 09-30-2018, 09:08 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rivets are secured by pins

There is definitely a small plastic center pin on each rivet, maybe 2mm diameter / 1cm tall? Pushing it down through the center of the rivet will free up the outer mushroom-shaped part which can then be pulled up carefully if you start it by prying with a sharp edge or blade. This frees up the painted spoiler lip. If the pin is perfectly flush with the top of the rivet it may be hard to see the border between pin and cap. (Maybe use a magnifying glass.)

When you push the center pin down all the way it falls and gets "lost" inside the spoiler, so take care when removing the spoiler and "pour" them out one end. Or you may be able to find them once you remove the painted spoiler lip.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:33 AM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I took a closer look. It appears the rivets shown at this link:

http://www.einmaligparts.com/Expansi..._p_162029.html

are the ones trygve are refering to.

If I remove the end cap and peer in; I don't see this type of rivet. Mine have concentric ridges and a little stub protruding from the bottom.

I ordered a few of the referenced ones as replacements and will just drill out the existing ones.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:05 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

When I do an image search for that part number, it looks right (see attached). It seems to be a rivet used for various purposes including the spoiler.

The attached image shows before installation. The pin is pushed in to install, and pushed further in (and through) to uninstall. I’ve reused several times until I eventually lost the pin!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:17 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Mine looks nothing like that. Mine is lined with circumferential ridges like ones you can find online without a pin. Removal is to yank out with the back of a hammer.
I'll try to take a pic tonight peering inside the end cap.

I did order 6 of the ones that look like above.

DB
Old 10-01-2018, 08:58 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Here's the rivit as viewed from the edge of the spoiler.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

The manual states to remove the center pin by punching it inwards as mentioned here. My '97 has these center pin type fasteners, but I can't tell whether they are plastic or black anodized aluminum.

One thing I noticed in your picture: portion of the spoiler (flange where the 3 rivets mount) is a beige color. On mine, this surface is painted body color. Perhaps someone had removed this in the past and reinstalled with some type of pop-rivet. You may have to drill them out?

Last edited by Geza; 10-02-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:52 PM
A8KED
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

dbbarron,
I saw the rivets like you have in the photo at an auto body/paint shop when I was looking for the correct Porsche push pin type rivets. Perhaps as Geze suggested someone has changed them in the past.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:19 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

I received the OEM replacements from Pelican today.
I can now drill them out and replace.

Is there any way to know if I will get a 70MPH alert if I disco the motor without running the car up to speed?
In other words, has the function been deprogrammed already?

DB

Quick Reply: Removing Spoiler Rivets