What is this dangling part?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 PM
Joe Estes
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this dangling part?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can offer. So, I went to inspect the fuel line vent valve (was throwing a large leak evap code) on my 1998 986 today and besides the vent valve being broken, I found this electrical component dangling from the same wiring group as the grounding screw for the vent valve. Hopefully you can see that the grounding wire and this sensor (?) come off of the same wire group. The dangling part with the broken plastic edge was there when I got there, so I don't know where it belongs or what it is, or what part I need to replace to plug the sensor back in.

Anybody know what this is? There are two pictures. One is the sensor plugged into the broken receptacle and one is the sensor thingy with the part it plugs in to removed for clarity. Basically, the thing that this sensor (?) plugs into is broken off, with the sensor still plugged into it (in one picture/taken out in one picture)

Scott
Old 09-25-2018, 11:27 PM
Joe Estes
5th Gear

100 views and nothing?

Bueler? Bueler? Bueler?

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Perhaps an additional picture zoomed further out might help to identify where you are looking.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Joe Estes
5th Gear

Thanks Geza. I can't really pan out on the picture because the area that I am working in is on the front passenger wheel well. The area in question in up near the top, near the gas filler neck, where the filler vent valve attaches. The part in question would be plugging in somewhere near there, perhaps above the charcoal canister, which I think in tucked in that corner, just behind the wheelwell. The wire is grouped with the ground wire that attaches to the filler vent valve bracket (that you have to take off to replace the filler vent valve).

Thanks again, Geza, or anyone else who can tell me what this is. I e-mailed and called Pelican Parts and they could not help me.

Scott
Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

I looked through the Bentley manual - there is not a lot of detail on what is going on up there. The black part (you removed) doesn't look like it has any electrical contacts - looks like it snaps into a slot somewhere; perhaps it's there to stow an unused part of the harness (for some feature not present on your particular car)?
Old 09-27-2018, 10:41 PM
Joe Estes
5th Gear

Thanks for doing that, Geza. I put it all back together this afternoon and left the dangling mystery part dangling. I hope you are right. The P0455 code is still there. I guess I get to keep digging. Thanks again.

Scott

Quick Reply: What is this dangling part?