Sponsored by:

Cup holders in the Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:20 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cup holders in the Boxster

A buddy of mine living in Arizona decided to rent a Boxster to see if it would be a good substitute for the Miata which he didn't fit in comfortably because of his height. He brought the Boxster home and decided to take the wife out for a ride. As soon as she got into the vehicle with the two bottles of water, she discovered there were no cup holders for their water. So on that they decided to nix the Porsche Boxster.
I have not examined a Boxster, and I live in another state, so I don't know if this is true. I know in last months Pano, they mentioned that Porsche had fallen below in the ratings a while back because of the lack of cup holders, but since then their ratings have improved because Porsche has now included cup holders in their vehicles.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:53 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

You don't mention what year of Boxster they test drove. Mine is a 2000 and does not have cup holders but I believe shortly after that model year they were added as units that would pivot out from the dash. I'm not sure what year they were added.
For mine I purchased clip on ones from the Tequipment department that attach to the air vents on the outer extremities of the dash. They're not the easiest to use but they're better than nothing.
It would be pretty sad to miss out on the fun of Boxster ownership just because of cup holders!
Old 09-23-2018, 05:19 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by 2RedPorsche
You don't mention what year of Boxster they test drove. Mine is a 2000 and does not have cup holders but I believe shortly after that model year they were added as units that would pivot out from the dash. I'm not sure what year they were added.
For mine I purchased clip on ones from the Tequipment department that attach to the air vents on the outer extremities of the dash. They're not the easiest to use but they're better than nothing.
It would be pretty sad to miss out on the fun of Boxster ownership just because of cup holders!
Since this is a rental I can assume it is 1 year to 2 years old.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:49 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

If the car was truly 1-2 years old, they may have overlooked the cup holders. They are hidden just above the glove box:

The trim piece above the glove box opens and the cup holders swing out
Old 09-23-2018, 06:36 PM
bcgreen
Pro

I sent him the info and a Youtube on how to locate the cup holder. We shall see what he has to say.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:50 PM
harrisonrick
Captain Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine has them - same type as my A4....holds a can of pop or a medium coffee.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:39 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Since this is a rental I can assume it is 1 year to 2 years old.
Oh my goodness, I can't imagine that a car that new wouldn't have cup holders! I'm sure that they just didn't know how to access them. Being a 986 forum I assumed you were talking about a much older car.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:03 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by 2RedPorsche

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine that a car that new wouldn't have cup holders! I'm sure that they just didn't know how to access them. Being a 986 forum I assumed you were talking about a much older car.
He's flying in tomorrow so I will let you know why he didn't know about the cool hideaway cup holder.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:57 PM
bcgreen
Pro

So, he decided to buy a '18 Camry and will do a restomod in the near future. Go figure.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bcgreen
So, he decided to buy a '18 Camry and will do a restomod in the near future. Go figure.
Oh ya, that's almost the same! Lol!
Old 09-30-2018, 02:36 AM
Whizbang
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this thing that fits into the holder space below the radio. I should get a picture because this hasn't been the best description.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:59 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I think Pinto's have cup holders !
If it is so important, then...
Old 09-30-2018, 09:30 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

It's a Porsche, not a Cadillac. Not a Jag. Not a minivan. I learned in my Bim that you're there to drive, not drink. Likewise in the Porsche. What's next? Installing fold down trays behind the seats?
Old 09-30-2018, 04:20 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

I have an 01 Boxster S and it has the factory cup holders. Let's just say, the moment you get going from a red light, the drink falls off. I have never used them ever since.

Having said that, later models/generations have improved their cup holders as the vehicles have transformed to not only satisfy a drivers' needs, but also to include comfort creature necessities.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:38 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO, (having also a 2001 Boxster S), having a glove box would have been seriously much MORE friendly and important ..than "cup holder".

At the second I read an article in a magazine where a "journalist" would critic a car because things like "cup holder", the reading is over for me, and my considerations for the journalist is gone. (I will not write here what I think about such "journalists" !)

Quick Reply: Cup holders in the Boxster