Sponsored by:

1998 986 stuck roof

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 07:46 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 986 stuck roof

I went to clean my MAF sensor today in my '98 automatic 986. I put back the engine cover and one of the cloth liners. My roof was is the "service" position. Plugged in my $40 obd2 and rest the codes. Some "are you sure" warning came on which I regretfully ignored and reset. CEL gone but now the top won't move. I push the button and don't hear a motor/click/anything.

Did I blow a fuse? Need to look up where that is. Did I bump into something? Top was working fine prior.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 09-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

After you check the fuse, check for relay clicking under the left foot well (DS in US). If you hear clicking, it is probably the motor. Mine failed this way - I opened the top partially to "chop the window", and it never went further - relay was clicking. I also pulled the relay and did the "bypass" procedure (you can search here to find what that is) - nothing - that's when I knew it was the motor - I was not wrong. Good luck.

If you decide to replace the motor, post here again before you do it, so I can share a few "what not to do's" that I learned the hard way.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 PM
RPMzen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled the B6 and D3 fuses...they were fine. Then I pulled the relay off gave it some compressed air...the put it back on. DIdn't work. Then I started the engine...nothing. Then did a series of turning off ignition...trying it again, nothing. Then I plugged my OBD2 back in and started the engine, let it warm up and then it started working!! I have no idea what I did. I shut off engine and tried it with ignition, and it worked. Seems to be in good working order.......for now

Quick Reply: 1998 986 stuck roof