Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CANT FIND INFO ON THIS ISSUE ANYWHERE!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:53 PM
JRMiller92
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CANT FIND INFO ON THIS ISSUE ANYWHERE!!

I have been doing someone research into this problem and I haven’t been able to find a single article or video that address this issue so I made this account on here in hopes that someone on the great community of Rennlist can help me!
Whenber I start my car up with NO AC on it runs and drives perfectly normal BUT whenever I turn my AC ON, the car begins to let out smoke from the front drivers side tire\fender well area. It also has a smell to it that I’m having a hardback time describing. And ALSO there appears to be a very low volume hiss that goes on whenever the AC is going. There is a slow dripping leak from behind the tire as well. The fluid is clear and doesn’t have a smell.
Once I turn the AC OFF, the car will slowly stop emitting the smoke. I’m no mechanic by a long shot but, could it be that some kind of AC line has a hole in it and it’s spraying fluid out and some is leaking through bottom behind the wheel and the other is hitting hot metal/parts and burning into condensation/light smoke that I am seeing????
Also the hiss could be from the fluid spraying out of a hole in the line/hose.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OR PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THAT YOU CAN!
THANK YOU
PS: I can email a video of the smoke and a picture of the small leak from behind the same tire as well!!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 AM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

According to the service manual, most of the A/C components are on the P/S of the vehicle; however, the D/S does have a condenser and its associated lines. Sounds to me that you are on the right track - there is some kind of leak in the line(s), fitting(s), or in the condenser itself on the D/S. Best of luck with sorting this out.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 PM
JRMiller92
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geza
According to the service manual, most of the A/C components are on the P/S of the vehicle; however, the D/S does have a condenser and its associated lines. Sounds to me that you are on the right track - there is some kind of leak in the line(s), fitting(s), or in the condenser itself on the D/S. Best of luck with sorting this out.
Thank you so much for the information!! I’ve been driving it normally with no ac and the car has been running fine. I decided to try the ac again. Now the ac isn’t causing the smoking, hiss, or smell when turned on. The air still blows normally but it’s not near as cold as it should be. I’m thinking it was leaking freon and there’s not much left to leak out now and that’s why the symptoms have seemed to have stopped?
Old 09-03-2018, 07:12 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Any a/c shop should be able to check.

BTW, this thread is a classic example of why you should have your location in your profile so responders can better tailor their responses. Geza assumed your location and gave you a response probably based on you having a left hand drive car. But you could have been from the UK or AU and his answer might have mislead you because you had a RHD car. See Geza's posting and look to the left where he has his location as an example.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by JRMiller92
I have been doing someone research into this problem and I haven’t been able to find a single article or video that address this issue so I made this account on here in hopes that someone on the great community of Rennlist can help me!
Whenber I start my car up with NO AC on it runs and drives perfectly normal BUT whenever I turn my AC ON, the car begins to let out smoke from the front drivers side tire\fender well area. It also has a smell to it that I’m having a hardback time describing. And ALSO there appears to be a very low volume hiss that goes on whenever the AC is going. There is a slow dripping leak from behind the tire as well. The fluid is clear and doesn’t have a smell.
Once I turn the AC OFF, the car will slowly stop emitting the smoke. I’m no mechanic by a long shot but, could it be that some kind of AC line has a hole in it and it’s spraying fluid out and some is leaking through bottom behind the wheel and the other is hitting hot metal/parts and burning into condensation/light smoke that I am seeing????
Also the hiss could be from the fluid spraying out of a hole in the line/hose.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OR PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THAT YOU CAN!
THANK YOU
PS: I can email a video of the smoke and a picture of the small leak from behind the same tire as well!!
Have you considered removing the wheel/tire to pinpoint the leak location ?
Old 09-03-2018, 08:22 PM
Geza
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefocke
Any a/c shop should be able to check.

BTW, this thread is a classic example of why you should have your location in your profile so responders can better tailor their responses. Geza assumed your location and gave you a response probably based on you having a left hand drive car. But you could have been from the UK or AU and his answer might have mislead you because you had a RHD car. See Geza's posting and look to the left where he has his location as an example.
Good point - I'll keep that in mind in the future.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by JRMiller92

Thank you so much for the information!! I’ve been driving it normally with no ac and the car has been running fine. I decided to try the ac again. Now the ac isn’t causing the smoking, hiss, or smell when turned on. The air still blows normally but it’s not near as cold as it should be. I’m thinking it was leaking freon and there’s not much left to leak out now and that’s why the symptoms have seemed to have stopped?
As others have offered there's a leak in the A/C. The smoking, hiss, and smell was the refrigerant leaking out. You should not run the A/C. With the system low (probably empty) of refrigerant there will be no circulation of the refrigerant and as a result the compressor will run without proper lubrication.

You need to get the car to a highly regarded heater/AC shop and have the leak source ID'd and addressed. My WAG is it will probably be a condenser. They sit in front of the radiator and are subject to damage from rock impacts. If you tell me the radiator ducts are full of trash then corrosion can be a problem.

Regardless, get the leak found and fixed. The system will be subjected to a vacuum to remove any moisture and check for any additional leaks. Then the system will be refilled with the proper amount of refrigerant and compressor oil.

Quick Reply: CANT FIND INFO ON THIS ISSUE ANYWHERE!!