Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eeeek...A seal Sir? You’ll need a windscreen with that.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 07:22 AM
Robbie Love
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eeeek...A seal Sir? You’ll need a windscreen with that.

I have just completed the original Porsche holy trinity by buying a ludicrously cheap and fairly minty 2001 986 Boxster. A lifetime ago I had a 911 SC and more recently an oilfield-draining Cayenne.

The Boxster needs a tiny tiny bit of paint work on the clip-on hardtop roof and, as it’s near the rear windscreen, I was going to pop it out and replace the seal. I am now told by Porsche (and anyone else I contact) that you cannot buy the seal without a new windscreen at many hundreds of pounds. That’s obviously ludicrous for a seal that should be £20.

Has anyone else faced this problem and is there any cheaper solution? Thanks in advance and fingers/toes crossed.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:39 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

I've been very interested in the Boxsters too, but I like the 911 for it increased size, but I'm sure the mid-engine design is why these are so popular? I've owned many convertible cars and when it comes time for the window to be replaced, I just pay to have the entire top down and the convertible mechanism serviced. I've know many people that have tried to replace the rear plastic windows and get so mad that want to burn the car to the ground. Threading and resealing it is a time consuming process that requires more patience and skill than most realize. That's why I prefer to hire a professional. Plus, you get a brand new top!

Quick Reply: Eeeek...A seal Sir? You’ll need a windscreen with that.