Sponsored by:

Stock head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:35 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock head unit?

The previous owner of my 02 put in a single DIN Sony head unit, presumably to gain Bluetooth connectivity. My car came with the Bose system and has the amp and CD changer in the frunk. The system sounds like complete garbage. The bass is distorted, there's a constant hiss and it just sounds flat.

I know very little about audio systems and their wiring. Is it safe to assume that the amp isn't being utilized with the aftermarket head unit? If so, I would be willing to forgo Bluetooth for better sound and would consider buying a replacement OEM head unit.

Any advice or suggestions? How can I determine if the amp is being utilized? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:43 PM
lilredpo
Pro

I abandoned the factory bose system in my '02. Installed double din Kenwood with Nav, Sat radio, bluetooth and aux. Replaced front and door speakers with new Bose speakers and added an Alpine amp and Sound Ordinance Sub.

Very happy!

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:02 PM
Scott2.0
Advanced

^that sounds like a heck of a setup! Definitely more than I want to spend though. I really just want to find the simplest and cheapest way to get it sounding halfway decent, which I assume the factory Bose system should do.
Old 08-08-2021, 12:58 AM
Keeponriding
2nd Gear

Default Kenwood

I have a 2008 997, with bose stereo. Replaced the head unit with a Kenwood, giving me GPS, Bluetooth, Android auto and interface for my mp3 player, plus a mini card ( I digitized over 1,000 CDs onto lossless format). Should I choose, I could also get Sirius.

Fits great: matches the gray interior and works just fine. I kept the old head should I ever sell the car.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:05 PM
ebelizard
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott2.0
The previous owner of my 02 put in a single DIN Sony head unit, presumably to gain Bluetooth connectivity. My car came with the Bose system and has the amp and CD changer in the frunk. The system sounds like complete garbage. The bass is distorted, there's a constant hiss and it just sounds flat.

I know very little about audio systems and their wiring. Is it safe to assume that the amp isn't being utilized with the aftermarket head unit? If so, I would be willing to forgo Bluetooth for better sound and would consider buying a replacement OEM head unit.

Any advice or suggestions? How can I determine if the amp is being utilized? Thanks!
I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but just upgrade the entire sound system. To me it would be worth it to have new components with reliable, clear audio, that is modern. This would oppose trying to chase the original sound system; unless you are trying to keep it pure original. If that's the case, just hunt down the stock head unit online. But overall, I would say upgrade for reliability and clarity. Just my .02
Old 08-18-2021, 01:12 AM
stl_986
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Since this is from over 3 years ago dont think it really matters.

Quick Reply: Stock head unit?