Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ODB II

Old 07-25-2018, 10:37 PM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ODB II

I just replaced the battery for my 2002 Boxster. And now, I need to do a California Smog check. It didn't pass the ODB II.

May I know what exactly do I need to do to pass the ODB II? Do I need to complete a certain drive cycle?

Thanks
Old 07-26-2018, 12:29 AM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by doridori
I just replaced the battery for my 2002 Boxster. And now, I need to do a California Smog check. It didn't pass the ODB II.

May I know what exactly do I need to do to pass the ODB II? Do I need to complete a certain drive cycle?

Thanks
Yes just take it for a good 10 mile drive & make sure the check engine light is not on.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:47 AM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Yes just take it for a good 10 mile drive & make sure the check engine light is not on.
Thanks. I have taken the car to many 10 miles plus trip. But the ODB II still fail.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is the check engine lite on? You need to read the codes, fix the problem, clear the codes and take it for a varied speed 25 or so mile drive cycle. If you don't fix the problems that set codes, when you clear them, as soon as the readiness monitors reboot, your codes will come right back.

BTW, you should look up (google) what the correct drive cycle is for your car. Quite often the OBD will fail because the readiness monitors haven't reset. Good luck, and if need be take it to a dealer or an indie Porsche repair shop.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:34 AM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Readiness cycle for a 986 Boxster: Thanks to Maytag on 986forum.com.

A. Start your Porsche Boxter and let it idle for approximately 2 1/2 minutes. This will allow the ECU to diagnose oxygen sensor aging; meaning the computer will be monitoring the oxygen sensor warm-up period and reaction to rising exhaust temperatures. During this period the ECU is also testing the Secondary Air Injection system.

B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain your speed for 3 1/2 minutes. The ECU will be testing catalytic converter efficiency.

C. Next, accelerate to 40-60 MPH. Once again maintain steady speed, this time for approximately 15 minutes. The EVAP system is now being tested along with adaptation range (2) and the oxygen sensor (switching).

D. Decelerate and come to a complete stop. If equipped with a manual transmission, idle in neutral for 3 minutes. If equipped with an automatic Tiptronic transmission, idle in drive (D) for 3 minutes. Adaptation range (2) is now being tested.

E. Repeat steps B through D. Drive cycle complete.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ODB II