Sponsored by:

Mysterious tapping disappears abruptly

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 03:38 PM
Coedlan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious tapping disappears abruptly

My wife’s 2003 Boxster 2.7 developed a loud ticking noise a week ago, dropped it at an opc who diagnosed scored bores in bank 1 and said it needed new engine casings. I didn’t believe them. Trailered it home to try an oil change and decided to take a short video to document the noise. Revved the engine twice and it went clunk an the noise stopped
any ideas? See attached video
Attached Files
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 PM
digs
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 87 Posts

Long shot , stuck valve that freed up ? Ims up to date ?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:54 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

That is strange. When the tapping stopped it almost sounded like something engaging that was not properly engaged like the clutch on the A/C pulley. Just a WAG.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:46 AM
Coedlan
4th Gear

Originally Posted by paulofto
That is strange. When the tapping stopped it almost sounded like something engaging that was not properly engaged like the clutch on the A/C pulley. Just a WAG.
My exact thought, it sounded just like the a/c solenoid
Just going now to take it out for a drive and then change the oil. Will look for anything in the oil
Old 07-17-2018, 12:34 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep us up to date. That video is wild. I have heard that type of ticking before and never heard it magically disappear! Did the shop borescope the engine to determine the failing cylinders?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Coedlan
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Keep us up to date. That video is wild. I have heard that type of ticking before and never heard it magically disappear! Did the shop borescope the engine to determine the failing cylinders?
They only bore scoped the engine, they pretty much diagnosed bore scoring after hearing the engine, as a result, they didn’t look for anything else and simply took the easy option of proving their diagnosis. This diagnosis would then result in new engine casings or writing the car off as uneconomic repair
Below is the photo they showed me as their evidence of scoring, they said this was typical of all 3 bores in bank 1, they circled the scoring for my benefit!!!.
I was not convinced, particularly as it burns zero oil and does not smoke. What do you all think !?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Time to find a new shop.

Listened to the clip. That was indeed strange. I could agree with paulofto's WAG that something not completely engaged becoming completely engaged.

Another WAG: Check for something caught in behind the crankshaft pulley.

Unless the engine is shredding itself internally you won't see anything in the oil. You can send an oil sample out for analysis. If the oil has low miles it might not have accumulated scary amounts of PPM of aluminum, ferrous metals, or copper, etc. But you can still get a report and maybe spot something.

Quick Reply: Mysterious tapping disappears abruptly