Sponsored by:

TIPTRONIC CHANGE FLUID OR NOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 03:56 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TIPTRONIC CHANGE FLUID OR NOT

Just bought 1998 Boxster with Tiptronic 119,000 miles. No problems that I am aware of but have no idea what shape the tranny fluid is I or when it was changed. One shop tells me that I could CAUSE problems by changing fluid since it may not have been changed in the past. They work on Porsches all the time. What is the opinion of the forum as to whether to change or not. Thanks in advance for your help
Old 06-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

My info from talking to Porsche SA's and techs is if the Tip is acting up a fluid change more often than not seems to hasten the Tip's decline. 'course, the Tip won't get better even if one doesn't change the fluid.

I don't recall any issues with an otherwise healthy Tip receiving a fluid change.

Even so I'm not sure what I would do. (Well, I take that back. I'd more than likely check with the SA and shop senior tech and ask their opinion/recommendation and go with that.)

As long as the Tip is behaving you might consider leaving it be.

If you have the fluid changed, you have to be prepared for the Tip to manifest problems and probably require a rebuild.

'course, if you don't change the fluid, you have to be prepared for the Tip to manifest problems and probably require a rebuild.

But not changing fluid does not mean tomorrow or next week or really any time soon the Tip will act up.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:18 PM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
My info from talking to Porsche SA's and techs is if the Tip is acting up a fluid change more often than not seems to hasten the Tip's decline. 'course, the Tip won't get better even if one doesn't change the fluid.

I don't recall any issues with an otherwise healthy Tip receiving a fluid change.

Even so I'm not sure what I would do. (Well, I take that back. I'd more than likely check with the SA and shop senior tech and ask their opinion/recommendation and go with that.)

As long as the Tip is behaving you might consider leaving it be.

If you have the fluid changed, you have to be prepared for the Tip to manifest problems and probably require a rebuild.

'course, if you don't change the fluid, you have to be prepared for the Tip to manifest problems and probably require a rebuild.

But not changing fluid does not mean tomorrow or next week or really any time soon the Tip will act up.
I kinda agree with you on maybe leaving it alone
Thanks
Old 06-27-2018, 12:05 AM
A8KED
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

My 1998 hit 99K last month and I changed the Tip fluid. I am the 3rd owner and I got very few records with the car. The Porsche service manual recommended a change and as I had no indication that it had ever been changed I decided to go for it. I was not having any issues with the Tip and have not noticed any appreciable change in the way it shifts since my fluid and filter change. It took me about 2 hours to complete the job. Was it worth the time and cost of the fluid, a gasket and a filter? I can't say it was, but it's done... The old fluid was quite dark, but did not smell burned. There was no sludge in the bottom of the pan and the pan magnets were clean.

Now I'm debating the water pump. Again no record that it has ever been changed (although it must have been) and no indication that it is having any issues. I'm thinking I'll change it anyway just for peace of mind.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (02-20-2022)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:38 AM
user 20389
Banned

thanks for your advice. Appreciated.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by A8KED
My 1998 hit 99K last month and I changed the Tip fluid. I am the 3rd owner and I got very few records with the car. The Porsche service manual recommended a change and as I had no indication that it had ever been changed I decided to go for it. I was not having any issues with the Tip and have not noticed any appreciable change in the way it shifts since my fluid and filter change. It took me about 2 hours to complete the job. Was it worth the time and cost of the fluid, a gasket and a filter? I can't say it was, but it's done... The old fluid was quite dark, but did not smell burned. There was no sludge in the bottom of the pan and the pan magnets were clean.

Now I'm debating the water pump. Again no record that it has ever been changed (although it must have been) and no indication that it is having any issues. I'm thinking I'll change it anyway just for peace of mind.
As your post makes clear a case could be made to go ahead and change the fluid. At 99K miles and probably on its original fluid the fluid wasn't bad. I dare say it won't be bad unless the Tip is manifesting problems. In the OP's case with a 119K mile Tip that's not that many more miles than 99K and I would expect his experience to parallel your's, but of course, I can't make any promises.

One minute I want to advise him to change the fluid. The next to just leave it alone. It is the OP's call -- and I would add probably after a consultation with his trusted Porsche tech -- as to whether to change the fluid or leave it be.

I must stress if the fluid is changed it must be changed properly. I believe there is a temperature range the transmission must have in order for the level to be correct. And I would not risk going with a fluid other than the factory fluid.

The water pump on my 2002 lasted 172K miles. Got up one morning and upon cold start noticed a low volume low frequency rumbling noise. Suspected the water pump. Removed the belt and started the engine and the noise was gone. Checked all the accessory drives for any bearing play. The water pump had some. Not much but it had some while the other drives had none.

Put the belt on and arranged to have the car flat bedded 25 miles to the nearest dealer. Had new water pump and T-Stat installed. The replacement water and T-Stat were fine at 317K miles.

My car received periodic coolant replacement services about every 4 to 5 years. The fresh coolant I believe helped prolong the water pump seal life. The noise was due to wear the water pump was not leaking. (By way of comparison the water pump on my Turbo failed -- leaked -- at less than 120K miles. While the car received periodic coolant replacement the 1st 6 years and 10K miles it did not. I like to believe leaving that original coolant in place hastened the water pump seal failure.)

At 99K miles the water pump could have nearly another 70K miles of service life left. Or it could have none left. Peace of mind counts for something and I could not offer any real argument against a replacement at 99K miles even with no signs of any water pump issues. Be sure to replace the T-Stat, too. If you do the work yourself take the old T-stat and new T-stat and drop both in a pot of water on the stove and with a thermometer confirm at what temperature both open and that they both open the same amount as the temperature goes up.

Drain the old coolant and replace with a 50/50 blend of Porsche antifreeze and distilled water. I had all my coolant services done at the dealer and the techs used a vacuum lift system which made for an air pocket free refill. If I were to do this myself I'd seriously consider getting a suitable vacuum lift system to refill the system. The other way that involves filling the system then running the engine until hot then topping up and repeating just sounds like a receipt for disaster to me. Some have reported having the rear of the car elevated on ramps to help fill the lines/radiators makes for a less work refill but still...That vacuum lift system is the bomb. Both of my cars have had maybe 5 or 6 coolant services and there has never been any problem. Each time the system was refilled completely with no air pockets.
Al Allen (02-20-2022)
Old 06-29-2018, 08:24 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

You are safe doing a simple change if there isn't a problem. You will most likely only replace half the fluid. I changed my jag fluid after 99k miles, and greatly improved shifting.

DO NOT DO A FLUSH.
Al Allen (02-20-2022)
Old 06-29-2018, 11:13 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I elected to change mine as part of a 90K service I had done at 42k miles when I bought the car. Why? Simply so I knew what the condition of everything was going forward. Your car, your money, your choice. Reminds me I want to look at a trans fluid change for my wife's car this month. 7 years seems enough.
Al Allen (02-20-2022)
Old 02-12-2022, 04:20 PM
Bushbaby
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Resurrecting an old thread here - the 993 Tips use the ZF4HP22 transmission - BMW recommend regular fluid changes in their applications using the same unit. I'd change fluid and strainer in my old E30 325i every 20 000 km or 2 years - the tranny in the BMW was perfect when the car was stolen 🙈 at 200k km. This transmission does not like the engine being revved when out of gear - this leads to the well-documented torque converter issues. I'll be doing the job on the new to me 993 NB soon 😀
Al Allen (02-20-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 12:23 PM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ddodgen
Just bought 1998 Boxster with Tiptronic 119,000 miles. No problems that I am aware of but have no idea what shape the tranny fluid is I or when it was changed. One shop tells me that I could CAUSE problems by changing fluid since it may not have been changed in the past. They work on Porsches all the time. What is the opinion of the forum as to whether to change or not. Thanks in advance for your help
Thought I'd change the fluid and filter in my 98... had 120K+... no history... was thinking preventative.... to have a baseline. Followed the instructions to a T even purchasing the laser thermometer to gauge the transmission fluid temperature. Ran the car fotr several thousand miles and it dumped on me. $4,500 later... ****.

My recommendation... leave it alone. If it's going to break down it will at some point. No sense expediting it with a feelgood measure or for peace of mind.

Just drive it. Seriously.

My recommendation is to find a Porsche mechanic that works on Tiptronics... or find a shop that has serious experience. You don't want to have to go shopping when you NEED it.

Just drive it and leave well enough alone.

Edit: Just noticed it was a 2016 post. My advice remains unchanged.

Last edited by Starter986; 02-13-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Al Allen (02-16-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 10:51 AM
Al Allen
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushbaby
Resurrecting an old thread here - the 993 Tips use the ZF4HP22 transmission - BMW recommend regular fluid changes in their applications using the same unit. I'd change fluid and strainer in my old E30 325i every 20 000 km or 2 years - the tranny in the BMW was perfect when the car was stolen 🙈 at 200k km. This transmission does not like the engine being revved when out of gear - this leads to the well-documented torque converter issues. I'll be doing the job on the new to me 993 NB soon 😀
Good to know. I have a last year E30 Cabrio with an automatic. Car hasn't done many miles in the past 8 years, but your post has encouraged me to do a fluid and filter change. Have a 2003 Boxster with Tip (both cars driven by my son who doesn't drive manual) just approaching 99,000, so I'll ask the former factory Porsche mechanic who maintains it for his fluid advice. He hasn't mentioned anything in his full inspections.

Quick Reply: TIPTRONIC CHANGE FLUID OR NOT