Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Boxster 986 Roof resync help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:39 PM
Galee
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Boxster 986 Roof resync help.

Hello all members I am after some assitance with my friends 1996 Porsche Boxster Roof. He had a new roof fitted and since then it will not operate(Well would operate but only if a 2nd person lifted the clamshell at the same time).It had loud banging side to side on the rear qaurters. I heard this is because the half moon gear are out of sync and the banging is the moon gear slipping off its teeth and the black purshrods knocking. I have taken both transmissions out of either side. to inspect moon gears and internals they all seem fine. I then reinstalled both transmissions but am having a nightmare trying to line them up rescync them. I have attched some photos of where I belive the V Rods and tranmission should marks should be. When I operate the roof it is working backwords on the switch so when the switch is pressed down it operates the roof up.But when I press it up it goes down. This also interfears with the roof limit stop switchs. I must be missing some thing here would any of you roof experts be able to chime in?

Old 06-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

A you know, the electrical switches are in the left transmission. So it's the one that controls the range of operation. From what I figured out, you need to sync the right transmission with the left so that their operations mirror each other. You can do this with an electric drill attached to the motor end of the right drive cable, use the drill to position the right side to the same spot as the left. You'll need the top up to be able to get to the motor and to watch the position of the linkage. Top up also puts the innards at the end of the top up range, and engages the micro switch. There is also adjustment in the top part of the linkage, a 10mm screw you can loosen and lengthen or shorten the linkage there.

Inspect your right cable for damage. If it needs to be replaced, replace the cables as a pair. Hope this helps, I still haven't gotten my clamshell to lay flat, either with the top up or the top down.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:40 PM
Galee
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Brian thank you for your reply this is a early boxster and I can not see any electrics in either transmission there are only cables and gears with the half moon gear setup the electrics are in the motor in centre of clamshell and mirco switches for the clamshell and roof latch. As stated I have tried to recync with above marks so both sides are the same with no success.Yes have been using a drill thanks for the tip lo.

Quick Reply: Porsche Boxster 986 Roof resync help.