Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

986 transmission and motor mount install: question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 12:17 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 986 transmission and motor mount install: question?

So I'm installing Torque solution transmission mounts and engine mount inserts.

1. For the transmission mounts, can you leave just remove the mount and not the triangle portion? Would that make it easier?

2. For the motor mount insert, is it easier to just remove the lower half of the mount and insert the sleeves?

Thanks in advance

David
Old 06-10-2018, 09:10 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Originally Posted by shadow993
So I'm installing Torque solution transmission mounts and engine mount inserts.

1. For the transmission mounts, can you leave just remove the mount and not the triangle portion? Would that make it easier?

2. For the motor mount insert, is it easier to just remove the lower half of the mount and insert the sleeves?

Thanks in advance

David
Ok... you cannot get a tool on the lower bolt, so you have to remove the transmission triangles.

I haven't done the motor mount yet. Will advise...after i tackle it.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can leave the engine part of the motor mount attached. Just unbolt the chassis portion from the body and the engine portion and it will slip out. I would suggest using a jack and a wooden block to support the front of the engine while you're doing this.

The trans mounts you'll need to remove the whole assembly then install the new mount and put it back in. Pull the right one first, then the left, more room that way, then do the disassembly and reassembly, Put the left one back in first, then the right.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:30 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
You can leave the engine part of the motor mount attached. Just unbolt the chassis portion from the body and the engine portion and it will slip out. I would suggest using a jack and a wooden block to support the front of the engine while you're doing this.

The trans mounts you'll need to remove the whole assembly then install the new mount and put it back in. Pull the right one first, then the left, more room that way, then do the disassembly and reassembly, Put the left one back in first, then the right.
Ha!! I missed this and did it backwards. I cussed like a sailor to get the transmission mounts in.

I'm doing the motor mount tomorrow... thanks for the tip.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

I've done trans mounts on a 986 and 987 and neither time did I need to remove the triangles. An 18mm (iirc) ratcheting wrench goes onto the lower bolt without a problem, then just knock off the 2 top bolts, lower the tranny a bit and they come right out.

Motor mount...while I spose in theory your strategy will work, putting the crossmember back over the motor mount inserts will be super tight if its anything like mine. Plus getting to the 2 crossbolts is a pain. Really, removing the two lower and loosening the 2 upper bolts and removing the whole mount will likely be quicker. It took me about an hour and a half and the worst part was getting the crossmember past the hoses.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:12 PM
Geof3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I've done trans mounts on a 986 and 987 and neither time did I need to remove the triangles. An 18mm (iirc) ratcheting wrench goes onto the lower bolt without a problem, then just knock off the 2 top bolts, lower the tranny a bit and they come right out.

Motor mount...while I spose in theory your strategy will work, putting the crossmember back over the motor mount inserts will be super tight if its anything like mine. Plus getting to the 2 crossbolts is a pain. Really, removing the two lower and loosening the 2 upper bolts and removing the whole mount will likely be quicker. It took me about an hour and a half and the worst part was getting the crossmember past the hoses.
Yep, I agree 100%. Trying to get the mount apart and back together again with proper torque leaving the engine side in the car would be a PITA. Much easier (though still kind of a PITA) is to pull the whole thing. Be careful with the plastic clamps that hold the hoses in place they are brittle and break easily, they need to come off to get the mount out. Make sure you pay attention to the orientation of the mount as you take it out, has to go in the same way. It will seem impossible, but once you get it you'll see how it works. Also, make sure you don't remove the upper two bolts completely, the mount just hooks on.

Quick Reply: 986 transmission and motor mount install: question?