Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans problem

Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 PM
1porschenut
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans problem

Hi guys I have a 01 985 with a 3.2 trip tronic trans. I bought the car about a year ago and have slowly been working on it. I replaced the IMS bearing on it a couple of months ago because the previous owner thought it was it but to find out it was only the oil separator instead. But after doing so one the immobilizer needed to be replace and at the same time they filled the trans with fluid, but it still won't go into gear.

can anyone help or have some advice.

thanks,
Matt
Old 05-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 1porschenut
Hi guys I have a 01 985 with a 3.2 trip tronic trans. I bought the car about a year ago and have slowly been working on it. I replaced the IMS bearing on it a couple of months ago because the previous owner thought it was it but to find out it was only the oil separator instead. But after doing so one the immobilizer needed to be replace and at the same time they filled the trans with fluid, but it still won't go into gear.

thanks,
Matt
At what point did the transmission stop going into gear?

If the behavior appeared out of the blue that's likely some mechanical failure. (No Tip experience but the shift linkage of my 2003 996 Turbo just up and failed (broke) one day and at low (~30K) miles.)

If the behavior appeared after some servicing or repair work, well, I'd be inclined to take the car back. Maybe. If the shop is suspected of causing the problem I'd be extremely leery of putting the car back in the shop's hands.

My Boxster references are gone -- gave them away -- but I seem to recall Tip fluid topping off should be done with the Tip up to temperature (30C to 45C). Adding fluid with the Tip below this temperature range can result in overfilling. The A/C should be off, the car level, the engine idling and the Tip in Park.

If the proper procedure for adding fluid was not followed this may account for the Tip not shifting. The fluid level might have been real low and the fluid level is still too low. I have no idea of what would be the result of overfilling the Tip with fluid.

(And there is the question of what fluid was used. I would only use the factory fluid. But with a used car you can't be certain the right fluid was in the Tip or with a shop that the right fluid was used to top the fluid level up.)

If the fluid level was really low and in need of topping off this suggests a leak and healthy Tip transmissions don't leak. So the Tip might have underlying problems.

Only you know your capabilities. But you might need to find a highly regarding Porsche shop for a professional's diagnosis.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:27 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1porschenut

thanks,
Matt
When you say into gear... are you saying shifter will not or the transmission will not.

I've changed my fluid on my turbo and did the transfer case gaskets.

Linkage is plastic and the cups disintegrate over time.

Fluid filling...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans problem