Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over size bearing shells

Old 05-23-2018, 03:13 PM
strudds
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over size bearing shells

Any one know where I can get 0.5mm oversize con rod bearing shells 986 Boxster 3.2s 2001 year
Old 05-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by strudds
Any one know where I can get 0.5mm oversize con rod bearing shells 986 Boxster 3.2s 2001 year
0.5mm is 0.019". That's some wear.

My vague recollection is at least one noted engine builder is not in favor of grinding down the Boxster crank rod (or main) journals to fit oversize bearings, even if they are available. He was also not in favor of building the worn rod (or main) journals up either by welding or hard chroming so factory bearings could be used.

Still relying upon my vague memory, but I seem to recall he seeks out used engines from which he can possibly obtain a good crank.

So there's that and I have to admit I have not tried to stay current regarding any advancement s made in rebuilding/resurrecting the 986 Boxster engine.

But a search turned up a company that apparently does offer oversized rod (and main) bearings. Here's a link:

https://www.europeanpartssolution.co...ized-bearings/

What the steps are to get the crank journals properly sized and probably hardened/heat treated so the crank has the same (nearly the same) strength as before with the proper journal hardening and finish and size/clearance I have no idea. But at least if this is done oversized bearings appear to be available.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:18 PM
strudds
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for your reply
I have been in touch with the company also out of stock at the moment
but again thanks.
The seach continues

👍

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Over size bearing shells