Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H-Check Light Just Came On...

Old 05-06-2018, 01:58 AM
Jordan986S
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-Check Light Just Came On...

Hi everyone, great to meet you. Bought a 2000 Boxster S in November and I have loved every minute of it. Previous owner took great care of it, and I daily drive it, it has been flawless until tonight - a yellow H-Check light came on.

I want to do all the work on it myself, but I need guidance. If someone would be so kind as to let me know the best way to inspect this issue and remedy it, I would be grateful.

Thank you for your time!

Jordan
Old 05-06-2018, 10:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan986S
Hi everyone, great to meet you. Bought a 2000 Boxster S in November and I have loved every minute of it. Previous owner took great care of it, and I daily drive it, it has been flawless until tonight - a yellow H-Check light came on.

I want to do all the work on it myself, but I need guidance. If someone would be so kind as to let me know the best way to inspect this issue and remedy it, I would be grateful.

Thank you for your time!

Jordan
Well, first you need a tool, an OBD2 scan tool, to read the error code associated with the CEL, and when you are ready to clear the error code, too. The OBD2 scan tool should be able to read active, pending, and permanent error codes, obtain freeze frame data, and allow you to view in real time engine telemetry like O2 sensor voltages, short/long term fuel trims, MAF, intake air temperature, coolant temperature, etc.

The better scan tools also give you an interface by which you can trigger some tests the car's engine controller supports. These can test O2 sensor response times, low and high voltage ranges.

I'm not current on OBD2 scan tools and scan tools that work with a OBD2 plug in and a smart phone are unfamiliar to me. There is Durametric which is pretty powerful but can run $300 maybe more. I used an Actron model -- the exact model number I forgot and I can't look it up as I gave the scan tool away after I sold my Boxster -- but there are other brands. (I have an Auto-Xray for instance, just got this for use with my other cars.)

Once you have the error code then you need to look it up. Be aware that error codes P1xxx are manufacturer specific and the definition for brand X is not the same as the definition for brand Y. In fact, even if the same brand a P1XXX code from a Boxster may not mean the same as the same P1XXX code obtained from a different model Porsche.

Error codes that start with P0xxx are defined by ISO and are the same for all brands/makes of cars.

You should seriously consider getting the Bentley Boxster service/repair manual. Here's a link to the Bentley site and the book.

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/por...-serv-man.html

Note this book doesn't have real good coverage of the OBD2 error codes but it has something and it has valuable info that should prove useful as you continue to service/work on your Boxster.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:30 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Post the P codes and someone with the factory docs will help you interpret them. Or use the search function of the forum with a P code as a search argument. After so many years, most have been covered with lots of back and forth and tips from owners. The Actron Marc mentions is good for most emissions and engine related codes but the Durametric is so much more capable in the areas of brakes, air bags, transmission, etc. as well as allowing you to trigger certain systems to help in a diagnostic process.

H-check is not a typical term I see. Normally is is CEL for Check Engine Light. A list of often used P-car acronyms is here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: H-Check Light Just Came On...