Sponsored by:

Battery maintainer and car cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Timeo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery maintainer and car cover

Just bought a 997 TT so my 2000 Boxster S will not be getting used regularly now. I plan on hooking it up to a battery maintainer and was wondering if it is ok to put a car cover on at the same time? Any issues? I have heard batteries need airflow to vent not sure if that is true or not.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Batteries don't need airflow, A Battery Tender or its equivalent will work just fine. Check the electrolyte level and top off with distilled water once a year or so. leave the frunk lid popped, just in case.

You're storing inside? A car cover will help keep the car from becoming a dust bucket. Put it away clean with the windows all the way up. If you're gonna store more than a few months, air up the tires and store the car on jackstands, tires off the ground.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:04 PM
Timeo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, stored inside. The reality is it will get driven as follows:

Fall - couple times a month just to exercise it, 10-15 miles each time
Winter - never
Spring - same as fall
Summer - regular use every other week
Old 05-02-2018, 06:18 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I had a Noah fabric car cover for winter and in autumn when nuts were falling from trees or even when birds were eating berries and making deposits. In the winter, I used a maintainer with the cord run under the passenger (LHD) door in the slot in the weatherstripping. The maintainer sat on the floor of the passenger's side. It sat connected that way for days and weeks and even sometimes months. Never any issues at startup. After 5 years the cover was perfect and it had withstood snow to probably 10" and ice to an inch and many storms. Since you are going to store the car inside, no need for such a durable cover unless you want to protect the sides of the car from the other things that pass by within a garage like bikes, kids, belt buckles, mowers, etc.

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer and car cover