Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Alternative? Keep breaking them!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 AM
KaiatEliteMS
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Alternative? Keep breaking them!

I keep breaking the stock axles on our 98 Spec 5 Speed Boxster launching it with R888's.

Any OEM alternative that'll work (maybe one from an S model or 996 that is known to fit the manual trans?)

Thanks !
Old 06-01-2018, 07:12 PM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

s axles are a different length (longer transmission). 987 axles have different fitment at the hub. where are they breaking - at the axle flange? check the process you are using to bolt to the flange - the bolts pic up grease as they pass through the inner cv, then won't hold torque and back off, then bang it breaks.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be interesting to know how the axles (ie where) are breaking. If I kept breaking axles by launching, I'd probably stop launching, It's a sure sign
that he's working the Boxster out of it's comfort zone. Especially a 98 Boxster which came with a semi anemic 2.5 l engine.

I think the op posted on another forum. I suggested that he visit a custom drive line shop and have a set of axles designed and crafted by someone who
does qualty work--don't rely on oems which aren't designed to take the punishment.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Alternative? Keep breaking them!