Sponsored by:

Is this the trans selector switch / neutral safety problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 01:04 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Is this the trans selector switch / neutral safety problem

I have a 2003 Boxster S with the Tiptronic. I've replaced the ignition switch in the steering column and a battery recently. Now I'm having trouble getting it to start. Turn the key all is normal but then nothing, no starter, no light dimming, nothing. If I take the key out several times and also put the car in neutral it will start. Completely random at this point. I've searched and it looks like early cars had a neutral safety switch on the transmission that would cause this. So two questions. 1. Is the neutral safety switch in early cars the same unit as the transmission selector switch? 2. If so, is there a good chance this is causing my starting problem. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Ever just wiggled the trans shifter side to side? Mine would sometimes (~2%) not start until I wiggled the key, steering wheel and shifter into the perfect synchronized positions. Never worth tracing.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:37 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Just did the test procedure on the trans selector switch and it tests out good. Also, the battery cables are tight and secure. I'm at a loss on what to check next. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Is this the trans selector switch / neutral safety problem