Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lompoc, CA to Barstow, CA at rush hour ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 05:54 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lompoc, CA to Barstow, CA at rush hour ?

Hello, I am hoping someone that lives in the LA region can answer a question. I am picking up a Boxster S in Lompoc next Thursday the 12th. After paperwork, taping up the mirrors and front bumper (hood has xpel), and a quick stop at a grocery, I am hoping to be able to leave Lompoc around 2ish to 3ish PM. Am I insane for thinking I could make the first leg of my cross-country trip back to NC by stopping for the night in the Barstow area ? I'm concerned about the implications of rush hour as I get closer to LA. I know I'll be north of LA proper but I need some input from someone familiar with the area. Looks like from Ventura: 126,14, 138 and I15 ?

The nice part about the 2nd day of driving starting in Barstow, is a moderate distance north of I40 to get to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Depending upon timing, try to get to Gallup or its environs for the 2nd night stop.

Thanks! I appreciate any help in advance
Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I am familiar with LA traffic and have driven these parts not too long ago...

I just did a googlemaps routing as you mentioned. For a trip now (5:00 PM), the traffic will be a little heavier than 2:00 or 3:00. The duration showed 4 hours 50 minutes (246 miles, 3 hours 52 miles without traffic). As expected, 5 miles north of Santa Barbara and 10 miles south of Santa Barbara will be stop and go. Not sure about the 126 traffic, but I expect a non- free flowing pace. Stop and go on the 14 from the 5 to Palmdale (L.A. rush hour traffic to the more affordable home regions). The only traffic free times are real early morning weekends or late evening on weekdays.

Hopefully you are not in a rush. If not, I would enjoy the top down drive from Lompoc to Santa Barbara and stay outside of (or in ) Santa Barbara and leave in the morning. You would be going against rush hour traffic at that time and will have a less stressful drive. Then evaluate if you want to stay overnight in Barstow or beyond.

Congratulations on your purchase.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I should add that your trip from Victorville to Barstow...

Will be a slower pace as well. That is the So Cal route to Vegas. People are leaving earlier in the week (instead of Friday eve) to beat the out of town traffic.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:14 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Hello, I am hoping someone that lives in the LA region can answer a question. I am picking up a Boxster S in Lompoc next Thursday the 12th. After paperwork, taping up the mirrors and front bumper (hood has xpel), and a quick stop at a grocery, I am hoping to be able to leave Lompoc around 2ish to 3ish PM. Am I insane for thinking I could make the first leg of my cross-country trip back to NC by stopping for the night in the Barstow area ? I'm concerned about the implications of rush hour as I get closer to LA. I know I'll be north of LA proper but I need some input from someone familiar with the area. Looks like from Ventura: 126,14, 138 and I15 ?

The nice part about the 2nd day of driving starting in Barstow, is a moderate distance north of I40 to get to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Depending upon timing, try to get to Gallup or its environs for the 2nd night stop.

Thanks! I appreciate any help in advance
Probably want to stay in Vegas instead of Barstow, additional 3 hour drive time.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Head for Bakersfield

Head for Bakersfield an upscale suburb of Los Angeles.

Hwy 166 Cuyama is a very nice drive with long sweepers with the sun to your back and go through Taft. (Is my choice or straight east to 99) Then jump on the I 5 north a bit or enjoy the farmland and go direct Taft Hwy to 99 and then north to 58.

The 58 is an almost straight shot to Barstow with windy roads through Tehachapi.

My CHP friend in Mojave says they let guys run 75-80 since they all do it.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:52 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the help folks. I think I'll try Manda's route, it's farther up from LA, and for my first leg scenic California looks like the ticket. Other than the Grand Canyon it's gonna be all I40 all the way to NC

Bought a good OBD II bluetooth code reader and a good IOS app for my phone, I'll check the codes at the end of each day (what did we ever do before the internet ?) ;-)
Old 04-09-2018, 01:03 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Probably want to stay in Vegas instead of Barstow, additional 3 hour drive time.
I40 doesn't go thru Vegas. I15 does.

Originally Posted by Manda Racing
Head for Bakersfield an upscale suburb of Los Angeles.

Hwy 166 Cuyama is a very nice drive with long sweepers with the sun to your back and go through Taft. (Is my choice or straight east to 99) Then jump on the I 5 north a bit or enjoy the farmland and go direct Taft Hwy to 99 and then north to 58.

The 58 is an almost straight shot to Barstow with windy roads through Tehachapi.

My CHP friend in Mojave says they let guys run 75-80 since they all do it.

Bakersfield a suburb of LA? I guess if you think of Sacramento as a suburb of San Francisco, perhaps.Tho I think folks in Bakersfield might argue with the idea. Yes I realize you live in Bakersfield. Great country music town, btw. It was the home of Buck Owens. Loved Buck Owens! I liked Tehachapi Pass, too.

During the afternoon after about 3pm, you really want to stay north as possible. Regarding the LA basin.

Two lane highways, (state highways) are generally pretty good. On the long twisties, you probably will get stuck behind a motorhome or other RV, or a big truck. Or just someone who's moseying along. It does beat rush hour in Santa Barbara, Ventura, and the LA basin (which can go on for a 100 miles or so.) I5 north of Castaic & Santa Clarita is usually heavy with trucks (restricted to the 2 right lanes.) But RV's can be in any lane and generally FUBAR's the road where ever they are. Get the feeling I hate RV's? I don't think I'd go thru Bakersfield, just google Lompoc to Barstow and take the route that mentions via 101 and 58. There are highway changes, but shorter route takes the precedent in this case. I used to drive truck, got paid for route miles, got punished for excessive out of route miles. When 14 turns to 58, you'll be in Mohave, where surplus planes are stored and commerical rockets are launched. When I was driving, I liked going thru Mohave. Set t he route Lompoc to Ventura to Castaic to Barstow. Great route, minimum freeway. Pretty scenery.

Every cop everywhere is different. Some are nice and understanding, others have a bug up their butt about anything. So stay close to the speed limit. I had a cop in N. Cal. who was running towards me, I was doing about 85 in a 65 zone. I watched him as he did a u turn and turned on his light. Soon as I put on my brakes to slow down, he turned off his lights and did another u turn. Had it happen in Washington State, too.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 04-09-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
Thanks for all the help folks. I think I'll try Manda's route, it's farther up from LA, and for my first leg scenic California looks like the ticket. Other than the Grand Canyon it's gonna be all I40 all the way to NC

Bought a good OBD II bluetooth code reader and a good IOS app for my phone, I'll check the codes at the end of each day (what did we ever do before the internet ?) ;-)
When you get to Williams, AZ, there's lots of motels and there's an excursion train that goes to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. It's probably what I would do, and make a day of it. Before Memorial day, it's kinda off season, so less traffic and somewhat lower prices, I think. Plus the snow birds have migrated north. They're leaving Tucson already.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 AM
Manda Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

How’s the car? How’s the trip going?
Old 04-18-2018, 09:10 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Hope he didnt fall in to the Grand Canyon!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Trip was incredible, a once in a lifetime. Car ran like a top, left Lompoc about 2pm Thursday, the 166 and 58 route was beyond description, and lots of CHPs. I did not fall into the canyon but I’m amazed that more do not given what some of the idiots were doing climbing out onto rocks with high winds, unbelievable. Got to Cary Monday about 4. Just amazing journey. I took a rock from a truck, spider webbed into about the size of a quarter. I immediately called Safelite and scheduled a stop on Saturday in Amarillo and got the epoxy fix, guaranteed repair, and on we went. Thanks again everyone.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:10 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I’m late in providing input to this trip. I’m glad you had a blast and all went well.

Anyhow, my input would have been:
Instead of staying In Barstow I would drive the extra 2 hrs and headed for Laughlin, NV or Kingman. Barstow is good for a quick break like 1 hr max stay. Seriously there’s nothing there that’s worth spending the night. The extra 2 1/2 hrs saved I would use it to drive Route 66 and going to Oatman, Hackberry General Store, Selligman and Williams. These places are some of the most interesting icons of Route 66 in Az. You would have had a blast driving through these historic Route 66 drive. Besides, when in Laughlin it’s not quite like Vegas but close enough. You can stay in a Harrahs hotel for $25 a night and have a free breakfast buffet in the morning. It’s also located at the tip of three states. You could be in Az, NV and Ca in just a minute. The Colorado river there is a nice site to see from the hotel.

Quick Reply: Lompoc, CA to Barstow, CA at rush hour ?