Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local 1999 Boxster for sale, steal of a deal or run away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM
HiAperture
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Local 1999 Boxster for sale, steal of a deal or run away?

I am looking to get a 997 later this year, but came across this 1999 Boxster on my local Craigslist. I actually know where the car is, and have seen it before, and recall thinking it looked like a pretty clean little car. Any idea on here on his supposed "minor" AC problem? Anything on these cars to be concerned about besides the famous IMS bearing, which given the miles and price of the car I think isn't worth addressing. I mainly know about the 997 market, but this seems like a good deal for a little top down fun this summer if the car isn't a basket case, or no? If anyone else is in S FLA and is interested, feel free to buy it and save me from myself!

https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto...529894907.html
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 AM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 956 Posts

PPI

If nothing major needed drive it til it breaks
Old 03-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You might go look at it, test drive it a little. Then pay for a PPI. No such thing as a cheap Boxster, but this one could be a gem.

My worry would be Key West water damage and salt damage, so getting it up in the air and inspecting really closely is necessary.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:34 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
No such thing as a cheap Boxster
Yea, that is about all I needed to read! Thanks for the advice from both of you.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Seems like you were looking for a reason not to buy the car. Do a little research: Boxsters are cheap, plentiful, reliable, and among the easiest Porsches to wrench yourself. There's a deep well of knowledge on the internet about them. A thorough PPI is $300-$400. If this car checks out without any major problems, it's an absolute steal. If it was near me, I'd buy it myself.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:00 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Seems like you were looking for a reason not to buy the car. Do a little research: Boxsters are cheap, plentiful, reliable, and among the easiest Porsches to wrench yourself. There's a deep well of knowledge on the internet about them. A thorough PPI is $300-$400. If this car checks out without any major problems, it's an absolute steal. If it was near me, I'd buy it myself.
Not everyone can wrench for themselves & Boxsters can be an adventure to try to fix. Otoh, a little trip out to Key West would certainly appeal to me and the price is worthy of consideration.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:21 AM
Geof3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If all the electronics work, windows, alarm, locks etc. and a PPI checks out, I think it would be worth doing. The IMS on that year is not much of an issue, but would be a consideration at some point, but maybe not. Suspension, brakes, all the usual stuff would need some checking and possible updating. Potentially make a good driver or moderate project job to have some fun with.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:09 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

I see yellowed headlights. That means it probably sat outside which also probably means a top replacement is not out of the question as the window will probably be yellowed and brittle. At least inspect the oil filter.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:02 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

It's worth a shot to get it checked out, but I'd bet that there's plenty of issues. I'm amazed when people put something for sale, and say "it only needs a $65 part". If it's such an easy fix and costs $65, why don't you fix it before you sell it? If that's the only problem that the car has, then I'd be all for it. Also, he's liquidating to buy a yacht.....$3K for a Boxster is not going to make much of a dent for a yacht purchase. The person does not sound like an enthusiast and doesn't mention the normal things that we'd care to know about. Sounds like a big issue popped up and he's trying to dump it.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
It's worth a shot to get it checked out, but I'd bet that there's plenty of issues. I'm amazed when people put something for sale, and say "it only needs a $65 part". If it's such an easy fix and costs $65, why don't you fix it before you sell it? If that's the only problem that the car has, then I'd be all for it. Also, he's liquidating to buy a yacht.....$3K for a Boxster is not going to make much of a dent for a yacht purchase. The person does not sound like an enthusiast and doesn't mention the normal things that we'd care to know about. Sounds like a big issue popped up and he's trying to dump it.
agreed. tread carefully. Not to mention, 4k for a 110k mile tiptronic boxster is not dirt cheap. Finally, with the 2.5L, a tiptronic car is gonna be slug.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:10 PM
HiAperture
Instructor

Sorry for dissappearing.

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
Well it is more that I was hoping people would say. "No doubt, these cars are bulletproof." Getting a PPI in Key West (almost 100 miles away from the closest shop that even claims to specialize in european cars), is a tall task. I don't think the owner is going to drive it hours to sell it at that price.

Originally Posted by Jaycote
To be clear the type of "yacht" this gentleman is probably looking at wouldn't be very glamorous. The area certainly has its share of multi-million dollar beauties, he is likely more in the "how to live on $20 a week is my favorite book" category of yachting.

He reposted it on Craiglist yesterday. I have to go to Key West next week so I will take a look at it if it is still there and see if it is worth trying to get it checked out. Frankly the only thing I think I could take it to in Key West is a NAPA garage.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:13 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

no love for the tipronics.

If buying a first generation boxster, buy the best example you can like one owners or cars with complete service records and history.

They are actually fun little cars to drive and great for beating around the city day to day.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:44 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Well it is more that I was hoping people would say. "No doubt, these cars are bulletproof." Getting a PPI in Key West (almost 100 miles away from the closest shop that even claims to specialize in european cars), is a tall task. I don't think the owner is going to drive it hours to sell it at that price.
They're as close to bulletproof as you can get in a 20 year-old sports car.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:43 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
agreed. tread carefully. Not to mention, 4k for a 110k mile tiptronic boxster is not dirt cheap. Finally, with the 2.5L, a tiptronic car is gonna be slug.
I have a 2001 Boxster base w ith Tiptronic. It's a fun little car for running around on urban streets (Tucson has effectively no freeways that go anywhere.) We have lots of traffic and lights, and the lights always seem to be red. A little correction, the car in question doesn't have 110K, it has 97K. Not that it makes a lot of difference.

A '99 isn't going to be bulletproof. My 01 has been a money pit. For a sports car, the 2.5 liter engine is gonna be a bit of a slug. If I had a do over, I'd probably be looking for an 03 or 04 Boxster S, tiptronic okay, but with the 3.2 engine and the glass rear window. And, you are looking at the least, the most plain jane version. I think I'd look for something closer to home & look at more than one Boxster. No PPI would be a deal breaker, and don't overlook the cosmetics of the cars. Upholstery, seats, carpeting and tops are readily available on the used market, but they aren't free and all take a bit of work to change. The sun in S. Florida is probably as brutal to cars as the sun here in SE Arizona--paint, upholstery, carpeting, and the plastic window all take a hit. My money pit 01 required all of them (plus an engine.) I didn't get a ppi, I regret that.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:53 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

My favorite cheap Boxster is a 2000 S. Although it’s not really that cheap, chances are, it has a double row IMS, has a lot more power, has 911 brakes, but still a Boxster and still simple. I had one for 3 years and loved it.

Quick Reply: Local 1999 Boxster for sale, steal of a deal or run away?