Sponsored by:

camber adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:28 PM
ChubbMUK
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camber adjustment

I have in the past 2 month replaced my 4 tyres, recently noticed i had bad inside edge wear on the front, indicating bad alignment (camber) so I have the Bentley manual on wheel alignment and it doesn't have much help on adjusting camber via the front struts.
BUT
It seems to say that after loosening the 3 small nuts and the main large nut you can physically push it to a new position.

1) after raising the car at the corner with wheel off the ground and required nuts loosened, couldn't budge anything
2) disconcerting was I seemed to be turning the large strut nut without it ever moving along the threaded screw, so I'm not sure what I was turning...
3) also I couldn't tighten the nut again where it met resistance...
4) if the nut was locked in the threads, what next?
Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

After loosening the 3 small nuts, with the suspension unloaded, you should absolutely be able to adjust camber. Try grabbing the body of the strut and pulling/pushing it. Should move easily.

The center nut will turn, but all you're doing is spinning the shaft in the strut. You don't need to mess with this anyway as it is not applicable for alignment.

My guess is not that you have a camber issue, but rather that your toe is screwed up. While that can be adjusted by messing with the tierods, thats not a DIY unless you are very handy with a set of strings and can be very accurate.

Pay the 150 quid and have the car aligned properly. I bet your camber is fine but your toe is out.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:17 PM
ChubbMUK
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quad,
I will check the toe again, I guess I can't do much else at this point... I usually do a string alignment adjustment a few times per year. But since I had new tires installed, the alignment was done and the car rode well. I called a few places and they would not handle a Porsche alignment. 220 was my quote from Charles Ivey so I'm sure its more from the OPC. It was tough seeing my new tires so chewed through however...they aren't more than a few months old at this point.

Quick Reply: camber adjustment