Sponsored by:

Boxster S or MB SLK350?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:18 PM
Maytag
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boxster S or MB SLK350?

Hey all:
As the title suggests, I'm in the market for a toy. Ready to buy this week, probably. I'm considering two cars, but neither are local to me, so I could use some opinion and comparison from people on this forum.
I've narrowed down to an '03 Boxster S, blue / tan, manual trans, 120k miles. Looks VERY nice, online. - OR - an '05 SLK350, green / beige, manual trans, 130k miles, looks near perfect online.

I'm a pretty fair mechanic, don't get scared easily. This car will be a toy, not my daily. And it may see an occasional track day in the summer (though it is not primarily a track car).

I'm an old- hand at Mercedes' mechanic-ing, having owned several over the years. My Porsche experience is limited to 4 weeks with an '06 Cayenne S. Too short a time to really get to know the car.

please chime in and give me your opinions.
as I said, I'm likely to buy early this week.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

porsche for sport, mercedes for cruising. If you intend to go to any track days, I'd take the boxster
Old 03-05-2018, 10:45 AM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
porsche for sport, mercedes for cruising. If you intend to go to any track days, I'd take the boxster
Agree 100%. I own both a Boxster and a Mercedes CLK 350.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:20 AM
Maytag
Track Day

Thanks for the response, guys.
Can the Boxster also "cruise"? or is it more specific to the sportier driving?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:36 PM
Anker
Instructor

I drove mine to Nova Scotia and PIE from Massachusetts and back last year. 5K miles put on it. A fun drive, really enjoyed it. Very different from what it would have been in the Merc. In the Merc I set cruise control, turn the XM radio on and cruise comfortably along at 10 over the speed limit. In the Boxster I enjoy the sound, shift down and blast around the slow guys and set the cruise control if I get bored, I have never ever listened to the radio in my Boxster! Wife enjoys them both.

The Boxster is a keeper and our toy car. The Merc is a very comfortable daily driver that will be replaced when the miles pile up. We drove almost 20K miles in it last year. A lot for a retired couple.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:43 AM
Maytag
Track Day

Thanks Anker! This was a helpful post.

I went and drove one yesterday..... I think I giggled several times... hehehe. I didn't realize how sweet that intake honk would be, or how much fun that high-revving motor would be. (I'll confess I could tell that the salesman was quite nervous.... but tried hard not to appear so. I kept reassuring him "I'm a trained professional", hahaha)

so yeah.... I'm hooked. I've made an offer on a car that's in PA (about 2000 miles from me), because it's the right colors and options. All of my fingers are crossed.

(I don;t suppose there are any members on here from PA?)
Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 PM
Anker
Instructor

Enjoy it!
Old 03-07-2018, 02:03 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

My longest trips in my Boxsters were around 250 miles in one day, maybe one stop. Probably 10 times. Room for luggage is a plus. She would say the seats are uncomfortable but she says that about many cars except plushmobiles. She was uncomfortable in the low rag top next to lorries/semi-trucks. I wasn't. Drive each. Ask anyone who is going to be with you frequently for their opinions.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster S or MB SLK350?