Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stuck Swaybar Pinch Bolt - halting my upgrade

Old 03-05-2018, 05:28 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stuck Swaybar Pinch Bolt - halting my upgrade

There are several threads around regarding stuck pinch-bolts, but haven't really found a definitive answer. Hoping to gain some more knowledge as well as to have it documented for future suspension upgrades. Car is a 99 986 that spent most or all of its life in Pittsburg Salt. Moving to PSS9s and Tarett drop links

The trouble I am having is with the drivers's side rear. Situation is as follows
  • Car is on jackstands
  • Zipped off the m15 (?) flanged nut that is on the forward facing side. No countering needed
  • Used my (17mm?) or whatever the appropriate wrench was on the rearward facing side to try to rotate bolt
  • Bolt promptly rounded itself off.
  • Read elsewhare on the internet that you should zip the swaybar link off to give you direct access to nut. Did this
  • Using a breaker bar and lots of PB blaster forward facing side of the exposed bolt, was able to get the bolt to rotate some with a lot of work. No room to Pb last on the rear side as the flange of the nut is up hard against the upright carrier
  • Caveat with - I don't care if the shock gets destroyed as it is blown and I have PSS9s
  • Put bolt back on and started backing with my 2.5 pound sledge. Only have a foot or so of room available so can't get a really good swing. No progress made,
  • Tried placing hack under strut and moving it through large range of motion an inch at a time to try and relieve pressure - no dice

Any advice on next steps? Heat, more PB, both, where to apply? 5 lb sledge, Turn bolt while hitting with sledge (will take 2 people - as I am not that coordinated. Help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Swaybar Pinch Bolt - halting my upgrade