Sponsored by:

2004 Porsche Boxster -- Mysterious Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 PM
alfaeddie
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Porsche Boxster -- Mysterious Problem

I've got a 2004 Boxster (base), totally stock and I have been having some strange problems. I've seen some posts on other forums describing what might be a very similar problem but the descriptions tend to lack detail so I can't be sure its the same. Nevertheless I want to post a detailed description to see if anyone has an idea.

Basically when I throw the steering wheel back and forth rapidly, or quickly turn left or right, I can feel through the gas pedal that something is rubbing on the car. The issue seems to be intermittent though as its not always there (unless I really push the car around), and the degree of "rubbing" varies day to day.

I've taken it to a very good independent mechanic in my area, but he couldn't figure it out either. Him and a second mechanic investigated for two hours and they found the following: steering rack seems to be fine, everything is tight under the car, power steering is fine (no pipes rubbing), strut bearing are good (I changed them myself) and the problem is certainly there.

Note: this steering does not have to be on full lock for this to happen... if I go 60 km/hour and slightly throw the steering wheel back and forth I can feel the "rubbing".

In any case, I am not sure what to make of this. The mechanic tells me the car is certainly safe to drive, and I believe him, but its really a nuisance and holds me back from wanting to actually push the car more...

Any ideas are much appreciated!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:13 PM
Jacob Hallenbeck
Advanced

i had an issue like this except my was a sound when i purchased my from a dealer and they checked the motor mounts 3 times saying they were good before they had to send it to a certified shop that said it was the motor mounts, make sure they are all good, mine was the upper between the firewall and motor. also check for possible rocks in calipers. does it always happen when you toss the car around or is it still intermittent then? is it a sound or feeling?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:47 PM
alfaeddie
7th Gear

I should have mentioned mounts... I did get the mechanic to check motor and transmission mounts because of a post I saw, but he said they were fine (although I'm not totally convinced on that point).

It is intermittent as in its very obvious some days and less so other days, and its a sounds as well as a feeling.

I'll take a look at the calipers and maybe go ahead and just changed the motor mount....

Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:03 PM
NewArt
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

You might check your PS fluid level. Sometimes, when it is low, you can get some weirdness.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:07 PM
alfaeddie
7th Gear

Actually I did check that a while back, when this was still and issue, and it was topped up.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Jacob Hallenbeck
Advanced

Originally Posted by alfaeddie
Actually I did check that a while back, when this was still and issue, and it was topped up.
still happening? may check your bushings on the front end as well i had a creaking at one point and got my lowercontrol arms and bushings replaced to fix it.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:13 PM
alfaeddie
7th Gear

I think Im good on that front as well, all the underbody components had been checked previously and they are all tight. I feel fairly convinced that it is engine or transmission mounts.... unfortunately they are fairly expensive parts.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:56 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

expensive? engine mounts 150ish? Do it yourself or couple hours labor at a shop.
tranny mounts under 200 for the pair. Do it yourself or a couple hours labor.
They are both not that difficult to do. Engine mount can be a little tricky without a lift.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:23 AM
alfaeddie
7th Gear

Ah I'd say its expensive enough, and thats considering I would do the work myself (and that I have impending complete brake job and tune up). And those are also optimistic prices, depending on whether I get genuine Porsche parts....

On that note, is there really a difference between Rein trans mounts and Porsche mounts?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, if you are that strapped financially you have the wrong car!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:17 PM
alfaeddie
7th Gear

I would agree! But I am just keen on saving money where I can.... Can you blame me?
This is also my frugal attempt to ensure that I don't lose to much money when I sell it....

Quick Reply: 2004 Porsche Boxster -- Mysterious Problem