Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter options for California?

Old 01-27-2018, 06:21 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Catalytic Converter options for California?

Long story short, my 2000 Boxster 2.7L has ruined its catalytic converters and they need to be replaced. It's currently sitting at a shop and they are trying to figure out why it destroyed the cats in the first place.

A quick Google search reveals quite a few aftermarket catalytic converters---but they're apparently so illegal that they can't even be shipped to California. It's easier to buy an AR-15!

The only two solutions I can see so far involve OEM parts:

1. Buy new OEM catalytic converters. They have them on Pelican Parts, but the cost for both cats + headers is more than I paid for the entire car, so that's out.
2. Buy used OEM catalytic converters. This seems to be the most popular advice I've found on the internet, and I would like to do this, except for the fact that I can't find any for sale on any forum or auction site.

So, what are my other options? Does anyone make a California-legal cat, or am I forced to scour for a used OEM set? And on that note, does anyone have used OEM cats for sale?

And here's a pic of the car so no one feels like they wasted a click:

Old 01-29-2018, 01:21 PM
Plastikos
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I have a '04 S and am in similar situation, one of the cats went with 116k on it. Yes, none of the inexpensive (relatively) cats will ship to CA, however performance ones ie Fabspeed will. This is the route I went. They are high-quality cats and there are no issues with CA emissions standards. And they still cost less than going OEM. I also thought about sourcing a used cat, but then who knows how much life is left in it. So, I took it as a sign to upgrade!

I can't recall, does the '00 have the primary cat as part of the headers like later years? I think it does (98-99 I believe the primary cats were right before the muffler, where our secondary / not-monitored cats are), in which case I will have a single extra cat available in a few weeks. I'm not sure why one of mine failed, the car hasn't had any engine issues.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:09 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Plastikos
So I have a '04 S and am in similar situation, one of the cats went with 116k on it. Yes, none of the inexpensive (relatively) cats will ship to CA, however performance ones ie Fabspeed will. This is the route I went. They are high-quality cats and there are no issues with CA emissions standards. And they still cost less than going OEM. I also thought about sourcing a used cat, but then who knows how much life is left in it. So, I took it as a sign to upgrade!

I can't recall, does the '00 have the primary cat as part of the headers like later years? I think it does (98-99 I believe the primary cats were right before the muffler, where our secondary / not-monitored cats are), in which case I will have a single extra cat available in a few weeks. I'm not sure why one of mine failed, the car hasn't had any engine issues.
Ok, I suppose that answers the next question I have: will an aftermarket, non-CA cat set off a CEL? It doesn't seem like it will--thanks for that info.

Yes, 2000 was the first year to have the primary cat in the header, with secondary cats in the "downpipes". At this rate I think I will end up with the NHP header/cat.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:26 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

in such case, i would have just no problem to source a set on ebay from a car that you know the mileage.
I have also a 2001 (3.2), and some of my cats have been even resoldered, and they are still working fine.

(i kept all my cats oem, as being in Laguna Seca on regular base, I just do not want to have 90dB problem !)

But, still you are right, the first prio is to know why they fail !
Did you had oil leak, ..ending up in the exhaust ?

note that in such case, if you fix the leak, the cat can revitalize and after some miles with great heat and no oil, can being back to ok.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:57 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

CARB offers a searchable database that lists suitable replacement converters. The link below takes you there. Select make, year, model and engine size for a list of converters.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/AftermarketParts/catalysts

My 2002 needed a new converter -- the passenger side had a loose "brick" that knocked when cold and buzzed when hot and generated an intermittent P0430 error code. Factory converters were too much money. (Over $1K each.)

What I did was to buy a pair of used converters from a Porsche salvage business. There is one located not too far from where I work in Hayward, CA. Before I paid for the converters I shook them to make sure they did not make any noise, then I turned the converters this way and that to make sure nothing came out, then treated them like glass (which the converter is, sort of).

At a shop had the old converters removed and the new converters installed. The new converters were quiet and the intermittent error code stopped showing up. The replacement converters managed to make it through at least one and possibly two smog tests/checks with flying colors and were working just fine when I got rid of the car..

Now I found out *afterwards* using a used converter in CA may not be supported by CARB. Not sure why. The engine controller constantly monitors converter performance and if the used converter isn't working right one will soon know it with a CEL and an error code, just like what happens if the original converter no longer functions properly.

Anyhow had the used converters manifested any problems I would have probably gone with the CARB approved replacement converters. But as it turned out they worked just fine and the CEL remained dark and the car/engine tested well within the allowable emissions tolerances when I had it smog tested/checked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter options for California?